• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 206 vs Cessna 207

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We used to have a 205 as a photo plane, and man was it bitchin.

It is basically a early 210, with struts and fixed gear. It does have that hump in the nose cowl where the nose gear retracts on the 210.

Very stable platform.

propsarebest said:
We used to have a 205 as a photo plane, and man was it bitchin.

It is basically a early 210, with struts and fixed gear. It does have that hump in the nose cowl where the nose gear retracts on the 210.

Very stable platform.
The other difference was that it had a smaller horizontal stabilizer and elevator. It could be a real handful when it was light and you had a forward CG.

'Sled

205 vs. 206 vs 207

The 205 actually shares the type certificate with the 210. The official moniker is 210-5. It is a great plane and can be a great value in the six seat market. Kinda rare so it doesn't have all of the mods of the 206 and I don't think they have any type of provision for floats.

I own one of the first 206's off the line. The older 206's (pre '68?) have the smaller horizontal stabilizer and elevator. You have to use some power in the flare if you come in lightly loaded with two up front and full fuel.The cabin is also a bit smaller than the later models. You have to tweak these a bit to get them on floats. They are basically the 205 with an IO-520 rated at 285HP (continuous) vs. the IO-470 (260?) in the 205.

After 1968 the tail feathers got bigger and the engine was boosted to 300Hp for 5 minutes (285 contiuous). They were Super Skywagons (U version) or Super Skylanes (P version) until around 1970 . In '71 they got full time 300 HP
and became the Stationair. All the controllers call me a Stationair, but I want to go back to Super Skywagon.;)

The 207 is an awesome hauler; however, I like to think of it as a 6 seater with lots of trunk space. It is a bit slower than the 206, but I would make the trade if anybody offered. One big advantage of the 207 is that it has two forward doors (pilot and co-pilot) AND the cargo doors in the back. NICE!

Chris

FN FAL said:
Well, I can't help you out any more than that...they came from the factory with IO-470's and they look exactly like a 206. Maybe some Cessna historian can help us out with how that all shook out. From what I remember, the 205 was a fixed gear 210 and then they developed the 206 from the 205. 205's had that stupid looking hump in the nose and they had the little door on the right side for the aft most row of seats.

We've got one, but it's not a 205. It's a 1969 model TP-206D. It looks just like those early 210s, same funky hump on the nose and has a huge void where the wheel well should be (talked to the A&P about it one day), spring steel gear, and has a full-size door on the right front side, no barn doors on the right and a tiny door on the left rear.

Even though it's a 206, it's not a "Stationair" but a "Super Skylane." I still call up as stationair.

Ours also received a 310hp Continental TSIO-540 when it had it's first overhaul... the original book says TSIO-470.

Dang... Bama's down by 8 with 7:48 against UCLA... we've been holding with them for a while, gotta pick it up!

Last edited:
clickclickboom said:
And the Early 206's were actually called super skylanes..

Also there was the P 206 and the U 206

and yes the 205 is actually a great plane..

Whoops, I guess my addition would be more meaningful if I weren't 3 sheets to the wind and wrapped up in the basketball game.

Yeah, the P model had the right-front door and small left-rear door, the U model has no right-front door and the barn doors on the right-rear.

Our TP206 is a very stable platform but I much prefer our 210... it's like driving a mustang (210) vs an old ford f100 (206). The 210 controls are much tighter, it stays right where you put it but the 206 has much more positive dynamic stability and will right itself to straight & level regardless of the attitude, you have to fight it at times.

av8rbama said:
Whoops, I guess my addition would be more meaningful if I weren't 3 sheets to the wind and wrapped up in the basketball game.

Yeah, the P model had the right-front door and small left-rear door, the U model has no right-front door and the barn doors on the right-rear.

Our TP206 is a very stable platform but I much prefer our 210... it's like driving a mustang (210) vs an old ford f100 (206). The 210 controls are much tighter, it stays right where you put it but the 206 has much more positive dynamic stability and will right itself to straight & level regardless of the attitude, you have to fight it at times.
You know what? I made a goof...imagine that? Now that I think about it, my friends plane had both front doors and the little one on the left side.

It was a nice bird and before my friend passed away, he offered it to me for a really good price. Unfortunately, I was buried with the aftermath of a twin partnership that had gone "apocalypse now" and was unable to buy it.

Cessna 208

Didn't Cessna for a very brief period have a Cessna 208? And no I'm NOT talking about the Caravan. It was basically an 8pax 207. I tried looking it up but all 208 searches come up with the Caravan. I coulda sworn I saw it in an old Jane's book years ago.

Latest resources

Back