• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 182 crash on video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Was that an oxgyen tank that was loaded into the back? That would make sense as I read it was a medical flight. Hate to think that it ignited after the crash.

I used to fly air ambulance with Lears.

I never liked that feeling of someone video taping the loading of a passenger before a flight. Always felt as if a major incident would come from such an event. Taking ones soul away from us...And I'm not Indian!

It was bad enough we were working on the back side of the clock. Tired and hungry with no place to eat at 3 a.m. on some carribean island that we had to pay the tower to come and turn on the lights so we could land. Old Lears, helping the line guy spray Prist into the fuel hoping that cheap lil piece of plastic tubing stays in place so you dont go blind if it were to come off. Transferring fuel to the trunk as soon as we landed so we could use the gens to keep the juice flowing instead of the batts when we shut her down. Hoping we have enough battery to be able to relight the engines with a full trunk of fuel. Many of those islands do not have power carts available at those hours. Universal Services? Whats that? Myself and my partner in crime were the Interpreter,Customs,Immigration and Flightplanners. Boy did we come cheap. No blue team or green team to call and fix a problem, just us. I can go on and on about the bad stuff of air ambulance and how dangerous a flight can become. I am happy no one ever had a serious incident or accident at the company I used to work for.

Although it was tough work I learned alot about flying air ambulance. I never got payed so little and flew so much in my career. Most of the new recruits who come through our department will whine about alot about nothing. If they had a taste of that air ambulance and saw how good they have it compared to those days I had, believe me, the only thing they would bitch about is how uncle sam kills them every year in taxes.

Any one else had the pleasure of doing air ambulance? Would love to hear some stories. Might even start a thread if anyone is interested.

Regardless of the mistakes, this was oh so sad

sky37d said:
Regardless of the mistakes, this was oh so sad

You're right. The sad thing is the inexperienced pilot killed someone else from his mistake in poor judgement or lack thereof.

Something to think about...this is probably some sort of mission/relief flying. I fly with a guy who flew for 8 years in extremely rugged terrain (Indonesia). He had this to say: You tried to keep things in balance but when you are THE ONLY LIFELINE to a village, you did what you had to do. Overweight was not uncommon when having to bring in emergency supplies or to evacuate a medical emergency.

It's unfortunate that it happened, maybe a pilot with more experience would have been able to handle the aircraft...but we don't know if this was a new guy or a guy who had been there for 3 years. Anyway, I'm sure that there was a good reason for who was on board and he was probably aware that he was at max gross or greater. Flying in and then saying that you can't take the patient and the doctor out b/c you would be over-gross won't accomplish anything...why even fly in.
It's a different type of flying that very few people can handle.

As cold as it might sound, in air ambulance, you have to remember, you (the pilot), and your medcrew are already in good health. The aircraft is in good shape. The patient is already compromised. It is not worth it to take an unreasonable risk and endanger the lives of the ones who are healthy and possibly destroy the aircraft that could be used to transport many, many more patients in the future. In the long run, it's best for more people if you think of the patient in the back as a bag of hammers. You should not take unnecessary risks because you are worried that the patient might die, that's something that the pilot has to learn to desensitize himself/herself to. If it's unsafe to complete the mission as planned then change the plan, no ifs ands or buts about it.

sleddriver71 said:
As cold as it might sound, in air ambulance, you have to remember, you (the pilot), and your medcrew are already in good health. The aircraft is in good shape. The patient is already compromised. It is not worth it to take an unreasonable risk and endanger the lives of the ones who are healthy and possibly destroy the aircraft that could be used to transport many, many more patients in the future. In the long run, it's best for more people if you think of the patient in the back as a bag of hammers. You should not take unnecessary risks because you are worried that the patient might die, that's something that the pilot has to learn to desensitize himself/herself to. If it's unsafe to complete the mission as planned then change the plan, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Well Said.

Flyingpieceofst

Murdoughnut said:
Was that an oxgyen tank that was loaded into the back? That would make sense as I read it was a medical flight. Hate to think that it ignited after the crash.

Contrary to popular belief, oxygen does not burn. If it did the air would always be catching fire.

A Squared said:
Contrary to popular belief, oxygen does not burn. If it did the air would always be catching fire.

Really? then how does my OXY/Acetelene torch keep burning if I turn off the acetelene? That's funny because I can turn it OFF and BURN right through 1/2 plate steel. O2 only.

A Squared said:
Tell that to the Falcon 50 Crew that took off from TEB only to be back on the ground in less than 3 minutes due to a spark from an Entertainment system that had chaffed the oxygen line. The oxygen line started leaking out O2 and there was an immediate fire fed only from the Oxygen. I talked to the crew of that incident personally up at FSI TEB and it was a scary story to say the least.

Out of all the dumba$$ idiotic statements I have read on flightinfo yours is close to being the dumbest.

By the way Einstein the air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen and only 20% Oxygen. Nitrogen is inert.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back