Cessna 182 crash on video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OMG! thats unbelievable.

Why was he so sideways, didnt look like much of a crosswind. Was he just trying to goose it ????

I'm not used to looking straight at a single engine plane taking off, but it sure looked like alot of flaps was used for takeoff.

Don't have a 360 view but.....overweight, aft CG, high density altitude notwithstanding it appears that he had plenty of room to keep it in ground effect a while to obtain some speed.

Old saying (paraphrased), better a controlled crash, than uncontrolled. Although I don't know what he hit at the end of camera view, if anything.

I feel sorry for the family that had to watch that. I cannot imagine.

Looked like he was really trying to pull it off early. It seems there was more runway available, but the video may be deceiving, so I'm probably wrong. Or, the CG was so far aft, as was stated earlier. Sad. :(

I dont like to speak badly of accidents like this, but this one was so blatent, I cant help it. This pilot was either really inexperienced, or really stupid. First of all, it's apparent that he didnt check the weight and balance. He should have never attempted a takeoff in the first place. Secondly, I cant figure out why he didnt abort the takeoff as soon as he got crossways and ran off the runway TOWARDS the group of onlookers, instead of trying to horse it into the air. At the most he might have hit a post or two and dinged up the plane. That's a hell of a lot better than killing yourself and your passengers. There was plenty of runway left to get up enough speed for takeoff, he just wasnt ON it. Either way, this probably would hvae ended up with an accident anyway, due to the weight and balance issues. Bad deal all the way around.

It sank because he came out of ground effect, it won't climb with that much flap extension, not out of ground effect anyway. Just because the POH says you can take off with 20 degrees of flaps doesn't mean it is the best way to take off, especially when the density altitude is high. Stupid...

Latest resources

Back