• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

I gather it is like this:
You can have an airplane that is Certified under the Pt 25 rules
But that same airplane is Operated under Pt 23 rules.
T or F?

I know I have this screwed up, all the wording can be confusing to a non-lawyer like me.

Like John Travolta's jet... does he need to fly it to meet the Transport Category rules. It was certified under pt 25 but he is pt 91... so 25 doesn't apply, only 23?

I'd think 25 would still "apply"...you're using a plane "certified" under Pt 25...whether you operate under 135, 121, 125, 91...doesn't matter...it's a 25 airplane.

...at least that's my guess....

avbug will probably know...he's good at this stuff

-mini

It's the airplane that's Part 25, not the operation, so the airplane must be operated as a Part 25 machine all the time.
Seems like our old KingAir 300 was dual-certified: Part 23 below 12,500# and Part 25 Above 12,500#. So you had to have balanced-field for the over 12,500# takeoffs but not under. Does that sound right anyone?

So an airplane can be certified to the levels required by pt25... but never actually need them in a legal sense because it is operated under pt 91?

If it's a Part 25 airplane, I believe you're required to fly it per Part 25. Doesn't matter whether you're operating under 91 or 135.

I'm lost on the question.

FAR 1.1 (and the basis for more than one question on the private plot knowledge test):

==============================
Category:
(2) As used with respect to the certification of aircraft, means a grouping of aircraft based upon intended use or operating limitations. Examples include: transport, normal, utility, acrobatic, limited, restricted, and provisional.
==============================

Part 25 deals with the rules for building and certifying transport category aircraft.

If the airworthiness certificate says "transport" it means that the airplane was built certified and tested in accordance with part 25 standards.

Like all other aircraft, the airplane has to be operated in accordance with it's limitations that are established under its certification rules and those written into it TCDS and AFM.

I'm not sure what that has to do with whether the airplane is operated for personal use under Part 91 or for hire under Part 135 or in an air carrier operation under Part 121.

(There may be some Part 125 issues because the seating capacity is more than 20)

Perhaps I'm misundersatnding the question. Can you point out some requirment in the certifciation rules that you think might apply depending on the type of operation the aircraft is used in?

midlifeflyer said:
Can you point out some requirment in the certifciation rules that you think might apply depending on the type of operation the aircraft is used in?

How about the t-o and climb requirements. The a/c is certified to pt 25 standards meaning all the charts give the minimum rwy length and climb requirements for each segment. But as a pt 91 operator are you bound to ensure they are used or followed?
So John Travolta has an airplane with t-o, first, second, third and final segment climb minimums built in, the charts all say so but he does not have to ensure the rwy length is there, the climb requirements are satisfactory (except as required by any rules in pt 91)?

GravityHater said:
But as a pt 91 operator are you bound to ensure they are used or followed?
Yes. It's pretty simple. Yes.

The aircraft is a Part 25 aircraft

The way it is operated is Part 91

The books used in operation thereof are based on certification part.

Latest resources

Back