central air question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ubpilot

I was a central air pilot, back then we need at least 1200 hr total time and 75 hr instrument time in order to get hired. Today consider such low minimum requirements in the regional airlines, where does JT find his pilots?

Guess his pilots come from people like me. Experienced in 135, way over mins, moving for personal reasons and needed a job. They had not had a full time pilot on that run in several months, so I figured it should be fairly easy for me to get that particular run instead of moving off somewhere. Besides, the schedule isn't too bad either.

Personally, with such low mins at the regionals, I wonder just how long it will be before 135 cargo operations start to bleed to death, if they are not already doing so now. How can operators with federally required 1200 TT mins compete with regionals who hire you if you have a new commercial ticket and a pulse?

JT as well as other operators are just going to have to pay more money to their pilots to sway the odds a bit. While this statement is the best corse of action for 135 cargo operators, I imagine some to bleed to death unfortunatly. No pilots to cover their routes doesn't set well with customers like Quest. This is the reason Quest Diagonastics are rumored to pay very well for their own TBM Captains. What's funny is that JT still pays more the first year than any of the regionals. Their shortage is due to this little nationwide epidemic called SJS. Nobody has the patients to wait a bit and get some great, real world experience being all alone. I know first hand that GRR is a great place to get that experience in the middle of winter in a Commander w/o an auto-pilot.

Texan

I believe it is SJS as well. I have a better job and higher pay starting out 135 so thats the reason I chose it over 121. Same upgrade opportunities for me as far as Jet PIC but at a higher level of pay. Easy choice.

JT What's funny is that JT still pays more the first year than any of the regionals.
Texan
I agree with everything you guys say about 121 vs. 135 but this is simply not true. CASW pays $1700 for the first 6 mos. $2000-2200 the next six months. That is below the pay for alot (not all) of regionals today when you consider things like per diem, etc...
There will always be people like myself who wait for 1200 and go the 135 route. But those people are getting fewer and fewer. Those that are left are not going to go to the lower paying operators. They will go to Airnet, Ameriflight and so on.

JT will get his pilot out of those low timers, that washout of 121 programs-are adviced to go get strong flying time. There are many out the will washout.

That is below the pay for alot (not all) of regionals today when you consider things like per diem, etc...

I don't know about everybody else, but I would rather have a job flying 135 that paid a little less than deal with the regionals. Mainly because I don't have to wear the uniform and little hat, don't have to deal with the TSA on a daily basis, don't have to put up with crowded terminals or passengers.

Oh yeah, my boxes have never complained about the ride or a rough landing, don't care if they are five minutes late, and I don't have to stand there with a fake smile bidding people "goodbye and thanks for flying" when I am having a REALLY bad day. And I have never once had a box refuse to turn off a "portable electronic device":D

As far as SJS...to each his/her own. If you are happy flying right seat of an RJ logging SIC time, go with it and be happy. Me...I enjoy plugging along at a measly 170 knots, IMC, at night, by myself, seeing my fiancée and being home every day...that is what makes me happy:)

Are they still doing that sic program? Maybe JT can cancel that program and get his captains by hiring low time sic's.

JT will get his pilot out of those low timers, that washout of 121 programs-are adviced to go get strong flying time. There are many out the will washout.

If they wash out of a 121 program I sincerely hope they won't go straight to a single pilot 135 job like CASW. In my opinion these jobs are some of the most challenging in all of flying. From what I understand those commanders do have gps, but no auopilot, no hsi. Spend a winter in GRR or STP flying checks in one of these and in the words of a former DE of mine, "you'll either be d@mn good or you'll be dead"

Last edited:
GRR in a Commander is a ton of fun in the winter too!!!! Especially when the heater freakin' quits. Uniform=Carharts.

Texan

Latest resources

Back