• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

central air question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure it probably won't happen, but if the FAA mandated the same requirements for 121 F/O's as they do for 135 PIC's, I wonder how that would change things. Does anyone think 135 operators might see more applicants? Is there really that much "SJS" or is it simply that the regionals are the first way out of instructing for most?

The staffing problems at 135 cargo companies right now hurt by adding even more work to what is in many cases an already demanding schedule. It seems like it's only a matter of time before some of them just implode and shut down due to lack of pilots or at the very least aggressively "restructure" things.

I'm sure it probably won't happen, but if the FAA mandated the same requirements for 121 F/O's as they do for 135 PIC's,...

I agree, not sure it will happen, but I do think that the FAA needs to step in soon and set reasonable minimums for 121 F/O's. Otherwise the regionals will keep trying to out do each other and we will have nothing but a bunch of inexperienced 250 F/O's flying passengers around. Scary thought.

... I wonder how that would change things.

Equal minimums could still be detrimental to 135 ops if the pay scales for 121 and 135 are comparable. The only way I would see someone going to 135 over 121 in this situation would be for more money.

Spend a winter in GRR or STP...

Either that or a summer in the midwest or southeast dodging thunderstorms! :D

GRR in a Commander is a ton of fun in the winter too!!!! Especially when the heater freakin' quits. Uniform=Carharts.

OMG you brought back memories that I had buried deep, deep into the locked closets of my mind. D*mn you!! :D

Central Air

Great job to build time for a better job in aviation.Everyone that ever worked at Central Air thought it was a great job.Line guys rule

Last edited:
BGSkyGuy said:
I agree with everything you guys say about 121 vs. 135 but this is simply not true. CASW pays $1700 for the first 6 mos. $2000-2200 the next six months. That is below the pay for alot (not all) of regionals today when you consider things like per diem, etc...

Flight Express upped the pay already, back in December. You can beat 40 grand your first year if you work your tail off. You can also fly 3 hours a day and beat MOST regionals. It helped a little bit, but we're still having to hire VFR guys.
It's great experience, but while it may make someone a "very good" pilot, it doesn't cross the Ts or dot the Is for that turbine PIC or Crew time. IMHO, it's unfortunate that being El Capitan on a Baron (or Commander, or 210) in all weather at all hours in all seasons is worth less than yanking gear on a 1900 that flies 30 miles around the nearest weather, but that's the way it is.

Perhaps a reevaluation is in order, particularly in this day of the one year upgrade.

Latest resources

Back