• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CBP Facility to be Opened in Abu Dhabi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NY Times reporting of massive arms deal with Israel,Saudi & UAE - culminating from a year of negotiations.

26 F-16s to UAE alone worth without munitions - $5bn

Great for US jobs...

fv

Interesting...mainly because the UAE is having a very hard time producing enough pilots to man the 80ish F-16's they already have. There will be lots of mercenary pilot jobs available.

Interesting...mainly because the UAE is having a very hard time producing enough pilots to man the 80ish F-16's they already have. There will be lots of mercenary pilot jobs available.

And ask Fareview, is that GREAT for the UAE economy? Sure it is! Hillarious!

Bye Bye---General Lee

UAE doesn't need to "produce" pilots, they can just buy them like everything else. Customs facilities, US backed military hardware, US government protection, etc, etc.

One trick pony, OIL REVENUE. Not that's it NOT a pretty trick. Live by the (sword)oil, die by the (sword)oil.

From PPRUNE:

Living life well and modestly in DXB is harder than I thought and a recent report in the press here said 70% of ex-pat workers find it difficult or impossible to send money home. I've been here 3yrs and only in the last few months have I been able to save anything.

A modest 3 bed townhouse villa in an expat community will cost you about $40,000 to rent per year. Food costs are 20-30% more than I was paying back home. I know the package looks like king's ransom compared to the regionals, but you will burn through it at an alarming rate. Most people need about $10-15000 just to set themselves up over here, paying deposits, buying cars, furniture, paying the UAE government for an almost endless number of pieces of paper

Hey Varmit,

Did you forget about setting yourself up in DXB vs a hub in the US after being hired by a Major? You seemed to have forgotten a lot. And, you can't openly kiss your girlfriend on the street over there. How much is that worth to you?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Your credibility score on this is a "0". Ship a container over and minimize setup costs. You will have the move and your set up paid off in 3/4 of a month. You want to start over with all new everything...OF COURSE you will pay for it. PPRUNE as a source? Come on General, you can do better than that.

I have plenty of friends flying for flyDubai over here and most seem to be happy. If you want to live in the popular trendy part of town, of course you are going to pay more.

Last edited:
UAE doesn't need to "produce" pilots, they can just buy them like everything else. Customs facilities, US backed military hardware, US government protection, etc, etc.

One trick pony, OIL REVENUE. Not that's it NOT a pretty trick. Live by the (sword)oil, die by the (sword)oil.

Having some personal knowledge of the program, I know that the Emiratis would prefer to have their own citizens flying those jets, but they just don't have enough, and many of those that they do have treat it as a part-time "club gig." The money they are offering for mercs looks good at first glance, but it really isn't enough...at least it wasn't enough for me.

What? You really only read the FlyDubai website? No personal accounts? Oh, that's right, you don't hang out with "them...."

Here is an account for Fly Dubai from someone on PPRUNE:

Think twice
Think twice before signing a 3 year bond with FZ. I would never have done this looking back.
The roster is absolutely crap causing extrem fatigue still being disregarded by the company. No one cares about the crew as long as the flight departs on time day or night.
You fly to destinations that are high risk carrying military personnel and weapons.
You will be blocked for 3 years for EK and now FZ have requested a permanent ban for both EK and EY. This has unofficially been approved so forget joining EK or EY after joining FZ, you will be stuck.
Very bad atmosphere in FZ due all the disapointed employees and most crew are looking for other jobs.
Sadly nothing is being done by management......

You have been warned....

And another portion of the same thread from a different pilot about living in Dubai:

Living life well and modestly in DXB is harder than I thought and a recent report in the press here said 70% of ex-pat workers find it difficult or impossible to send money home. I've been here 3yrs and only in the last few months have I been able to save anything.

A modest 3 bed townhouse villa in an expat community will cost you about $40,000 to rent per year. Food costs are 20-30% more than I was paying back home. I know the package looks like king's ransom compared to the regionals, but you will burn through it at an alarming rate. Most people need about $10-15000 just to set themselves up over here, paying deposits, buying cars, furniture, paying the UAE government for an almost endless number of pieces of paper

What's funny SugarSugar is that you and Fareview can't find anything other than the "official" website offerrings from that airline. Of course it will be rosy, according to them, they want new employees. And, the pay does seem ok, but according to most, you don't have the same benefits at that airline as YOURS, so that higher pay doesn't go as far when you don't get the same thinks EK offers, right? AM I RIGHT?

You guys in the Sandpit can enjoy it, but as US Majors start recalls, many of those expats will be tempted to leave and find some NORMALCY. If you want to stay over there and live in that atmosphere that isn't even close to ours over here, then SOBEIT.

Bye Bye---General Lee

i can't stop laughing, PPRUNE as your only source? Even lower information post than your last.

Delta guy, have you actually ever been to Dubai to see for yourself?

i can't stop laughing, PPRUNE as your only source? Even lower information post than your last.

Delta guy, have you actually ever been to Dubai to see for yourself?

You're laughing? Do you laugh a lot while putting on SPF 150 sunscreen? Sure you do. No, no I don't go to Dubai to ask people about it. PPRUNE has plenty of testimonials, about EK too. Why are you on FI? Shouldn't you be doing an intra ME flight to Beirut? Enjoy that, I won't be doing that. Remember I did talk to an Ex Delta pilot who is now a 777 Capt for you guys on a layover in DUS and when he thought I was asking about opportunities at EK told me "you're at a US legacy, never leave." I told him I wasn't planning on it, and he said he had wished he hadn't resigned from DL after 9-11. So, there you have it. Enjoy the Sandpit, Tehran, and all the other hot spots out there, I won't be. Bye!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Unreal GL,

When you are beat , you are beat.

Sometimes I get it wrong ...and put my hand up.

Yet You use FZ to articulate a point that is completely wrong....and then you change the topic. FZ pilots get paid 2.5 times what DAL pilots make in Yr 1. You just are unable to accept your gross misrepresentation - good news is most people on here sigh, yawn & ignore you because you have an inability to look inward.

Here's the thing...EK pilots don't tell DAL pilots how bad their life is because we don't live it.

Yet somehow you know our gig...let me tell you .. You have no idea ...but you do.

I have a job that you will never have...and it hurts doesn't it ..

Don't worry you can pull my gear anytime jnr

fv

Last edited:
Unreal GL,

When you are beat , you are beat.

Sometimes I get it wrong ...and put my hand up.

You use FZ to articulate a point that is completely wrong....and then you change the topic.

Here's the thing...EK pilots don't tell DAL pilots how bad their life is because we don't live it.

Yet somehow you know our gig...let me tell you .. You have no idea ...but you do.

I have a job that you will never have...and it hurts doesn't it ..

Don't worry you can pull my gear anytime jnr

fv

You are joking of course. You compared DCI or Regional flying as flying that is "cheap labor", just like your CHEAPER FZ. It's true, those guys don't even get CLOSE to your pay or benefits, yet they do your "regional" flying, taking a lot of your A330 flying intra Gulf with their 738s. (just like the regionals have taken some of the smaller towns around our hubs) You just can't disagree with that, because YOU WOULD BE WRONG. Check out the schedules from DXB to Bahrain, Kuwait, etc. Used to be more A330s, now mainly 738s...... YOU ARE WRONG.....

DL pilots, or any LEGACY pilot in the US has a better lifestyle compared to yours because of your SURROUNDINGS. It's just true, watch the videos that the Qantas guys were given about future layovers there. It's actually quite alarming, and something most people have to think twice about. It is what it is. It's hard to tell US pilots that EK is better than the US legacies, because we are HOME. We get to come HOME after each trip. Many Expats over there get to come HOME, but then return and most likely have to stay around there. (in the region) That doesn't sound fun, and no wonder EK pilots don't say that. (although that ex DL guy I met in DUS did--he said be thankful where you are at, and I am)

I have a great job, flying widebodies from the US to Europe, Asia, and South America (I avoid Africa, you probably don't, sorry about that, enjoy the malerone). I don't want your job, and I don't want to slather SPF 150 on myself everyday. YOU DO. What do they say about your Summers? Arizona hot and Florida humidity? NO THANKS. You can have your job, I don't want it.

And, I won't be pulling gear for you, you will be coming back over here and asking for a ramper job. When I do see you on the ramp, I will throw you a small bottle of water, and say, "Thanks for the good work, keep loading the bags, we want to go ontime."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Listen jnr remind me quickly before I my chauffeur takes my bags from my five bed villa to the limo...

..How long has the most jnr capt on the 777 been at DAL..

fv

Latest resources

Back