• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathy Pacific questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have worked two different airlines that had I would have skipped if I had followed the opinion of either

1) those working there who are disgruntled, or

2) those who have never worked there and are solely basing their opinions off things that they have heard "from a buddy" or read on forums or other sites.

I had overall great experiences with both, yes there were days, but I didn't spend my days peeing vinegar becuase I was juniored, or my drop request didn't get approved.

I don't care where you are, or who you're flying for, there will always be unhappy people. This is true of any industry. Some people advance and have a great experience, while others flounder in misery.

All I am saying is that if that's exactly what this guy wants... he might find himself happy there regardless of the conditions that others seem to avoid.

Um, I do not like to flame so I won't. CX is not that great. In fact from what I understand it is a mess. Many crew are taking the company to court. Direct entry Captain's, Direct Entry FO's on bases current FO's want, no upgrades for SO's, many different contracts etc...It is getting very ugly and the pilot's union at CX has had enough. I am sorry to you Bjammin and glad that you are happy but their are MANY that are very upset.

You can't say that in general AT ALL. I have been here for almost 4 years and have had absolutly nothing but positive experiences as well and 80% of the people I fly with. Some have gone, tried something they thought might be better, and come crawling back and the company took them back!
I have had many personal issues including being with a USN reserve unit, an attack in Anchorage by 2 thugs, and a very injured wife. The company has always come through in spades. They will take care of the guys that have got screwed by some of the direct entry garbage, and for new guys it's a better deal then it was when I got hired, what's wrong with that? Should it get worse?
We have people that have come from SWA, FedEx, and many older guys just looking for a positive change.
I don't know where you work and would never try to speak intelligently to you about your work conditions.
Some people may be pissed off, just like anywhere and they are always welcome to chime in with their opinions, but be careful going off the word of buddies. If I listlened to some of my buds I would be smoking weed at Grateful Dead concerts for a career.

beej

I'm an 18 year "veteran" with CX - I started here long before 'B" scales, ASL, CXF, CoS '94 and CoS 99, MSS, 49'ers, SARS and you.

You are sorely mistaken if you think this company are benign or benevolent. They are business people, no more, no less - money is their G*d, people are numbers and if/when you ever have a run-in with them, you will see their true colours.

I'm not suggesting that your happiness is the result of too much MSG at the Headland, but a dose of reality antidote in your case may be somewhat overdue.

They are a good employer as airlines go (I wouldn't still be here otherwise) and I'm smart enough to know that tenure is everything in any occupation, but these are NOT nice people that we work for.

There are pleasant individuals here of course, the equipment is nice, the routes are interesting and they haven't laid anyone off - yet - and there are a lot worse places to work, granted.

But the "be all and end all" - no way - as I fear we are about to discover.

You're an optimist, I'm a realist. The ONLY difference between you and me is experience.

If being an optimist makes me somehow inferior to you, fine. You want to look for evil in dark corners, that's you business, I tend to think that if I work hard for this company that maybe they will pay me and keep me around for a while. What else can I ask for?
You want me to have a reality antidote? Me reality is that I have had nothing but great experiences here. From captains that have taken my family under their wing when they got stranded in Hong Kong to the way they called every other day after my wife had extensive surgery, not to see when I was coming back to work, but to see if we needed anything.
The pay, per-diem, 6 weeks leave, and most importantly, the awesome people I get to fly with and party with in Hong Kong all make my reality pretty darn good. Why would I tell any other story then my own?

You wish me bad tidings? Why? So I can see your reality? Maybe i'll get s--- upon at some point and then you can say "Na Na, told you so." But until that happens, don't try to sway me into your negitivity. I tend to think positive people make for better freinds. I can only hope that some of the great people i've met here consider me positive.

It's good to get two different opinions. 18 years with the company i'm sure you've seen alot and I value your experience. On the other hand I've never heard of an airline that doesn't only consider pilots as a number. And doesn't only care about making the mighty dollar. I'm defenetly glad to hear about the positive things though. Good pay, days off and good people to work with are truely the most important things to me. As far as a pat on the back from management, well they can keep it.

No classes in '09 and enought people in the pool for anticpated '10 classes. No interviews in '09. Plenty of time to study then. For an '11 start date.

Oh well... Things can change.

oh yes Beej, I forgot one "event" in my tenure with CX...

VSS

That was the "Voluntary Separation Scheme" in '99.

Le plus ca change le plus ca le meme chose

Go to work on time, no hassles.
How much fuel you want?
CFP fuel is good.
takeoff A/P on. CTWO+ brief. land. shutdown checklist.
26 of everymonth,paycheck is in!!!
Health ins; almost everything is covered 100%.
15% ret. scheme.
happy or not is up to you what to make of a flying job.
PS 18-19 days off...now I am really happy!!!!!!!!!!!

While I don't work there, most carriers have similar issues. I try to go by one simple rule. Once the door closes, management stays on the ground. Your getting paid to do something that you use to think was fun. And, your not in a factory. Those are the ones that really work for a living.

There has been lots of RJ FO's hired recently, including me. If you have the mins. definatley apply now and keep updating because who knows what will be competitive when the interviews start again. When I started the process I had 4000tt and 2500 Rj and at that time I was interviewing for an FO spot. During the rest of the process several airlines went TU and the competitive mins shot up over night. Its all about timing.
Nice picture of the former PH logo. You still there?

Latest resources

Back