• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thanks for the info. if you move straight to HK, do you fly pax right away or still stay cargo? also, is it better to due your time there right away or go later? how's the coin? thanks! i had a blast over there on port calls and could probably live there for a stretch.

If you get picked up for FO you will based on the frighter out of the states to start. If you get Second Officer you will be based in HK on the PAX fleet. Each have advantages. The pay is great, about 72K to start not including the cash per diem, which during training is in the 3.5K range and about $150.00 per night away from home.

thanks for the gouge. final question. what's a ballpark figure for hours as far as getting in as a FO vs SO. i'll be applying with aprox. 2300 TT, 1200 PIC (about 1500 off all that multi). gracias!

Unofficial mins, "officially" from the ladies in flightcrew recruitment are 3000TT/1000 Turbine for SO's. Over 5500TT and around 4500 Turbine for FO's.

I know Bjammin had a lot less but he was either extremely lucky or they took into account the military time.

Either way the trick is to apply and keep re-applying every 6 months. When I went in for my 1st interview they had a list of all the dates I'd updated my application. And like they said it is EXTREMELY competitive right now.

When I applied for FO I had 2500HRS Turbine and about 2K of that was PIC. Only about 900HRS Multi-engine turbine PIC in the EA-6B. I had 8 or 9 squadron mates get interviews with about the same amount of time as me. All T-45A instructors with F-18/14, AV-8B, or similar. Some got to the second interview with both good and bad results, some went with SWA before the second, some didn't make it at all. Most all I know that applied have been called for the FO position.
My dates were:

Applied MAR 03

Update NOV 03

Called APR 04

1ST interview MAY 04

2nd AUG 04

called for APR 05 Class date in FEB 05

I think the times have been compressed quite a bit since then.

The gouge seems to be have a good amount of PIC jet time, update often, study ALOT of technical stuff and about the company before the 1st interview, get some 747 sime time before the 2nd interview, and drink the beer the big wigs keep buying you at the cocktail party.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back