Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PimpJuice

Pete Schwetty
Looking for some gouge on Cathay. Any place to find there pay scale on the web? Also, do you have to move to HK to eventually fly pax or can you stay on the cargo side here for a few years and switch over?

"Fragrant Harbour" forums on Pprune.com

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=100

They just hired some US Airways pilots in the past few months. From what I've heard via the grapevine you can switch over from freight to pax after three years. I've heard that one must move to HKG in the beginning of changing over the pax fleet. You can bid out to one of the U.S. bases (LAX, SFO) once you are senior enough. There's also Vancouver too. Good luck!

Last edited:
You can fly PAX out of the states for as long as you want after your three year tour on the freighter. The PAX bases are LAX and SFO. Freighter bases are ANC, ORD, JFK, and LAX. ATL and DAL are going to be online ports in November, but bases? No one seems to know.

WOW, we both typed at the same time! Funny.
I love it here! I've been flying PAX and freight for the past 2 months. Both are great. Just got back from a BKK, SIN trip. 27 hours in BKK will make anyone smile. I'll be moving to San Diego next week and will be flying out of LAX. I have 18 days off in SEP, not bad.
Cathay is still hiring like mad. Come on over and taste the noodles.

Bjammin, cool!
You're the envy of many because Cathay is such a great company to work for. Congrats!

Bjammin said:
WOW, we both typed at the same time! Funny.
I love it here! I've been flying PAX and freight for the past 2 months. Both are great. Just got back from a BKK, SIN trip. 27 hours in BKK will make anyone smile. I'll be moving to San Diego next week and will be flying out of LAX. I have 18 days off in SEP, not bad.
Cathay is still hiring like mad. Come on over and taste the noodles.

That's great. Congratulations. I ended up having to cancel my Cathay interview last spring when JBLU offered an interview. Both were on working days, and figured I could only use the last minute family emergency once :)

Working for Cathay sounds like an adventure. Good luck.

So far so good. Alot of guys have issues with working for a foreign airline. I 'm here to tell you the water tastes good in Hong Kong. We have record loads both PAX and Cargo, made a huge profit even with the fuel costs, are getting new airplanes every month, and are hiring like mad. Getting into the right seat of a 747-400 and flying to places like Bangkok and Singapore as a first airline job doesn't stink.
The downsides are being away from home for 5 months of training, a little North American bashing from the Aussies and Brits, and having to move to Hong Kong to really get your career moving.
To each his own, but with all that is happening with the Chinese economy I truly believe this is the place to be in the airline business right now.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back