• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Semi-ignorant question for Bjammin' or any other US-Based Cathay dude: Did you convert to ICAO ATPL prior to applying? I was looking at the requirements (cursory look really) on your website and it appears that they require an ICAO ATPL in order to apply. Is my regular old ATP good enough to apply?

FAA ATP *is* an ICAO ATPL, you should know that captain! ;)

A-T-P-L = Airline Transport Pilot License

United States = ICAO member

FAA ATP= ICAO ATPL

If you didn't have an ICAO ATPL you wouldn't be flying internationally and would have a limitation on your certificate.

Last edited:
I guess you guys missed the "semi-ignorant" caveat.

Thanks for the answers.....I think. Proceeding with app.

It is possible to have an FAA ATP that doesn't meet ICAO requirements in terms of flight hours to act as PIC. However, with your experience, it is not an issue.

I don't work there, but best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I don't think is was an ignorant question at all.

Th Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department requires you to get a Hong Kong ATP, which is different, once you get to Hong Kong. You can apply to Cathay with an FAA ATP.

The HK ATP requires a few exams, but you can only do the conversion once you get there.

Semi-ignorant question for Bjammin' or any other US-Based Cathay dude: Did you convert to ICAO ATPL prior to applying? I was looking at the requirements (cursory look really) on your website and it appears that they require an ICAO ATPL in order to apply. Is my regular old ATP good enough to apply?

How hard would it be to get based in ATL?

I think I'm competitive.
>5000TT
>3000 PIC A-320
>1200 PIC Navy Hornets/C-40 (737NG)
Current PIC in both A-320/737NG (obviously typed in both)
Extsv overwater/overseas with VR.

Been at JB over 6 years. We have some important milestones approaching with our in-house union drive (of which I am not affiliated - other than a YES vote) and from our management. Starting to look at other options.

I don't think ATL would be difficult and you should get there sooner rather than later.

CX walks you through the ATPL issue once you get hired, no worries there. You will spend your first two work weeks doing that conversion while getting payed.

Latest resources

Back