• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Pacific

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You keep the ATP subject to all the recency (currency) and medical requirements, as you would back home. The Hong Kong ATPL is issued on the strength of a current ICAO ATP (US Qualifies) but requires the candidate to write and pass a couple of subjects on the syllabus of the Hong Kong ATPL - like Hong Kong Air Law.

Consider yourself lucky - when I arrived in Hong Kong we were required to write and pass the UK CAA exams - considered by many to be the equivalent of writing final exams on a four year science degree. Ah, the good old days...men were men, sheep were frightened, gay meant "happy" and women were double-breasted...

Sorry, I don't really know, but USD45000 basic rings a bell. There are also housing and education (for the rats) allowances, 13th month, profit share etc, etc. I believe it all tops out at about USD60 000. (USD = US Dollars). Taxes are a flat 16%. Takes 10 minutes to complete a tax return, .40c to mail it in. No H&R Block offices here.

Commuting to HK from ANC?

Capt Underpants,

I'm currently looking for a career airline and I really like what I've read about CX. Thanks for the excellent info you have given us. Here is my question. Is it feasible to commute from ANC to HK if forced to be based in HK? Is ANC a junior cargo hub? Anchorage is where I'd like to put the anchor out.

What is the hiring outlook for CX? Thanks.

Underpants:

Do you happen to know if its better to email the Resmue to [email protected] , or to send a hard copy to the address on the website?

Is there someone specific to address a cover letter to?

Thanks.

Just email it

Hi emailed my resume last year with no cover letter. Just typed a few words on the email to them and attached the resume to it. Got the app. 4 weeks later. Just got the call to expect Phase II some time early next year, so I'd say just email it and save the postage. Good Luck.

Hi Creamer

Sorry about the delay - been out flying. A HKG-ANC vv commute is not feasable at the moment. It would have been pre-9/11 but all the Inland Security B-S has CX staging HKG-YYZ vv (Toronto) through YVR (Vancouver) instead. I don't see it changing soon, especially as ANC is only a freighter base at the moment. You could always try for the freighter operation, but sooner or later you'll have to spend time in HKG.

As I have said in the past, if you can't see yourself living in HKG for a significant part of your career, then maybe CX isn't for you.

Jump seating

Is it tough to jumpseat with US airlines as a Cathay employee? I have my first interview 13 Sept and really don't want to move to Chicago if I get that far in the hiring process. I read that AA has a code share agreement with Cathay, but does that extend to commuting pilots. Thanks

jet

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back