Cathay Pacific

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CX should pay me for this...

Is hkg the only pax side pilot base? and all the U.S. bases are frieghter only?

No, we have pax bases in Australia (SYD, MEL, BNE, PER), New Zealand (AKL), Europe (CDG, FRA, LHR, FCO) and N America (YVR, YYZ, JFK, LAX and SFO). Some are also freighter bases, and ORD is exclusively a freighter base. To qualify for a base on a pax fleet (this is important stuff) you need:

• LEGAL right of abode in the country.
  • Seniority to hold the base.
  • The aircraft you're on has to serve the base port at least thrice weekly, and (as an example)
If you're a 777 driver and want to live in LAX, you're S.O.L. 744 flies to LAX and so you would have to transfer to the 744 (not easy, but do-able) then wait for a slot to open, then apply. If you're senior enough to hold the base, fine, if not, then wait your turn. Could take years. So you get your base on the B744, and your command slot comes up...

It will not be on the B744 - so now what? Back to HKG on the Airbus or 777, do the course, pass (maybe) and apply to go back to B744...Not easy, etc...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Dont come to CX if you don't see yourself living in HKG for a significant amount of time.

Is it tough to jumpseat with US airlines as a Cathay employee?

Cathay has NO jumpseat agreements with any US carrier. We are not a 135 or 121 carrier, and are not bound by US air regs. Prior to 9/11 America West, AA, UAL and SW sometimes gave J/S to guys, but not any more.

If you want to commute to a base (say, FLL to JFK) you will be operated or deadheaded into JFK and you would have to find your own way to FLL at the end of your pattern and back again to JFK at the commencement of the next...on your own nickel.

CX does have code share agreements, but you will probably have to buy tickets on fullfare or subload to get around. A word of warning: miss a flight because you were bumped on a subload ticket and CX will can you. You either need to buy a full fare confirmed (if you're leaving little room for errors) or travel way ahead of time on a sublo. I know someone who was demoted for three years (held back off command) because he delayed a JFK-YVR flight - he was travelling on subload, got on, and there was severe weather between YYZ and JFK. The flight was turned back, he arrived in JFK an hour after STD, and CX almost fired him.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
You are the man Cpt. Underpants

All your information is right on! You should be pay for your information by CX Cpt. underpants, you are just too nice to us pilots.

I, myself is in the process of getting updated on my application. Hope to fly with you someday.

Thanks for the info.

Capt. Underpants,

I am waiting for a start date having sucessfully interviewed last May for US based freighter. Since I don't cross paths outside of message boards with any veteran
CX pilots, I find your posts highly informative. My young son was looking over my shoulder, saw a Captain Underpants post, and reminded me he read all the books.
I thought your username was familiar...

If you know, how long is the average wait for a start date anyway?

Cheers,

vtwin

If you want accurate, up-to-date info on CX, pprune.org is the best place to obtain it. By the way, they paint an entirely different picture than what's been described here...

pprune is a venting board. I have a few friends that flew for Cathay in the 90's and said it was a good place to work. They eventually came back to the US to fly for a major. Cathay is what you make of it. Is it a US major airline with all the flexibility in your schedule no. Is it a place that has job security yes. If anyone is interested in Cathay apply. Get the interview, get hired and give it a shot. If you don't like it you can always go somewhere else with your widebody international experience. Cathay called me for an interview 2 weeks after I started at Cactus. If I hadn't got hired at AWA I would have gone and hopefully got the job. Hong Kong is a very neat place. I am sure Cpt. Underpants would agree.

House_X said:
If you want accurate, up-to-date info on CX, pprune.org is the best place to obtain it. By the way, they paint an entirely different picture than what's been described here...

application

I recieved my application today! Do I hand write it or do I get it laser print by a pro except for the Hand Written portion only??

For those who have gotten called in for an interview, how long a period was it between emailing your resume and being sent your application? Thanks in advance for the info!

Lequip said:
For those who have gotten called in for an interview, how long a period was it between emailing your resume and being sent your application? Thanks in advance for the info!

It has been 1 billing period since I faxed my resume, so about 4-5 weeks.

Actually...

Cpt. Underpants said: "Cathay has NO jumpseat agreements with any US carrier. We are not a 135 or 121 carrier, and are not bound by US air regs"

ATA will take Cathay Pacific Airways jumpseaters, but the jumpseater in question must be a US certificated crewmembers. Doesn't get you any farther west than HNL, but we can get you to SFO or LAX which are Cathay cities.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back