• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CATHAY PACIFIC vs. FEDEX/UPS opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure how many there are, guessing around 15-17 or so, if you include "total packages". I think it's fair to say that we, more or less, following our Oneworld partner's pay scales. For example if you are based in OZ CX would be matching Quantas, UK-BA, and here in the States, AA (before their paycuts). Also the local boys (chinese) don't get any housing allowance in HK, while ex-pats can get up to USD7000-8000 per month, this was recently changed and I'm not sure what the exact numbers are...

Assuming you have been with company for 10 years and holding a US base as a Captain, then you would be making around 185k/year + some addl. flight pay. (at moment the upgrades are going at 9 years). 184 k/year if you are looking at a 10 year Captain at UPS.

Myself, I'm making 116k/year vs. 107k/year at UPS. No doubt UPS will blow by us with next contract but we still make money you can live off.

Last edited:
RP04 - Local Chinese DO get housing allowance - after upgrade to CN, the basic HKD24000 per month (USD3000).

A scale and B scale are non-converging, but the gap has narrowed considerably to about 22% since A scalers haven't received any basic salary increases (increments excluded) since the introduction of COS '99.

A Scale
B Scale
VETA HKG
VETA USA
VETA Australia
VETA New Zealand
VETA Europe
VETA UK
Freighter USA
Freighter Australia
Freighter Europe
Freighter UK

Is about all I can think of at the moment.

Undies

Although I would love to get on w/ UPS or FED-EX...as they say in NYC "fagettaboutit".

CX is a good alternate for regional airline guys. Pay scales are good and equipment is excellent. It's a Major airline and they are expanding on both the box and pax side. There are negatives to CX, but the pros outweigh the cons...

Although I agree it's not as good as UPS or FED-EX...it's still one of the best jobs you can get and should not be discounted.

Last edited:
we had 2 guys leave cx last year for SWA, haven't talked to them since they left so I can't tell you if they like it better over there.

I interviewed with both and I can't think of 2 airlines that are more different.​

SWA - Great buffet at HQ / Cathay - 4 star resturant at HQ

SWA - up to 8 short legs a day / Cathay - maybe 2 LONG legs

SWA - All US routes / Cathay - all international

SWA - 737 narrow body / Cathay - many types, only widebody

SWA - requires type rating, short grnd school / Cathay - 6-8 mth Grnd School

SWA - many bases, straight line system/ Cathay - not so many, hub and spoke

SWA - premotes fun, lighthearted / Cathay - very professional, classy

SWA - econ. class, soda and peanuts / Cathay - 3 classes, Peninsula catered

Asking which one is better is like asking whether or not someone likes a rag top mustang or a benz. They both cater to such different clientele and both look to last for the long term. I think either one would make for a great career, but Cathay works very well for me.

Last edited:
CX Bases

LAX

SFO

ORD

JFK

ANC

YVR

YYZ

HKG

AKL

BNE