CATHAY PACIFIC vs. FEDEX/UPS opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SKYMASTER

Any thoughts or opinions on Cathay Pacific compared to FEDEX or UPS? Just wondering about generalities or brief ideas.

easy, fedex or ups all the way

Unless of couse you don't want to be an FE, or if you ever want to fly PAX, or if you want concessionary travel on your own airline for your family.
People that don't know about Cathay are affraid of what they don't know. My brother flies for FedEx and hates it. From what i've seen of Cathay, I love it.

Do the reserch then decide.

I did ALOT of reaserch, interviewed with 5 different carriers, got hired by a few, and fell in love with one.

I, and many other people, love Cathay. Good money, great benifits and schedule, and a very professional orginization. I start on the right seat of a 744. Can't do that with the others, sitting sideways on a 727 or DC-10 if your lucky.

Bjammin said:
Unless of couse you don't want to be an FE, or if you ever want to fly PAX...Can't do that with the others, sitting sideways on a 727 or DC-10 if your lucky.
Honestly, I don’t know if it’s an ego thing or what, but after many years of trying (and several years in the pool) I recently started my dream job at Brown. And yes, I’m on the panel. Barring any major economic catastrophes, I’ve (hopefully) got the job from which I'll retire.

Since being hired, new-hires junior to me have gone directly to the front seat. You know what? I don’t care!

I have 7000+ hours of front seat time, I’m being pay protected as an FO on my 366th day, I'll have plenty of years here in the front seat and I’ve got another FAA certificate to one day show my kids when there’s no such thing an engineer’s seat anymore.

Why do so many pilots here (Flightinfo) look down on the engineer’s seat?

I’m happy to be where I am. I’m pretty sure I’ll remember how to fly when they let me upgrade.

RB

Read this article on Cathay or ask someone about the "49ers",

http://www.alpa.org/alpa/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=414

Cathay is an awesome airline to fly on as a passenger. Service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!! No one else is even close. The pilots are fantastic and extremely professional and competent. The only thing wrong with Cathay is management's perception of pilots. They consider them on the same level as the custodians, at least that is the way it seems. At Cathay you have very little protection. Bascially, you are an American working for a Chinese company.

Last edited:
---------

Last edited:
Bjammin said:
Unless of couse you don't want to be an FE, or if you ever want to fly PAX, or if you want concessionary travel on your own airline for your family.
People that don't know about Cathay are affraid of what they don't know. My brother flies for FedEx and hates it. From what i've seen of Cathay, I love it.

Do the reserch then decide.

I did ALOT of reaserch, interviewed with 5 different carriers, got hired by a few, and fell in love with one.

I, and many other people, love Cathay. Good money, great benifits and schedule, and a very professional orginization. I start on the right seat of a 744. Can't do that with the others, sitting sideways on a 727 or DC-10 if your lucky.

Here is where CX falls short,

1. Time to command. S/O-->junior F/O--->senior F/O---where does it end?
2. Retirement at age 55.
3. Training department runs on fear and intimidation. (see pprune)

I don't want to start a flame war. CX is a great company....but you hype up CX as if it's Pan-Am and it ain't...it definately has more problems than FED-EX or UPS.

This has nothing to do with sitting sideways...it's all about job security and pay. In term of job security...at CX your entire career is at the mercy of the medical department and training department, of which you could be terminated at will. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back