Cathay Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bjammin has great information and do listen to him -

My husband is on his last leg on his second (and hopefully final) check ride as I type this. I also just returned from Hong Kong last night and can say that after 10 years of hell with Comair, Cathay is truly a class act. We are going to be based in ANC (by choice) and his schedule is 3/4 three day trips (ANC - HK with 24 hour layover - HK), giving him more than 21 days off a month. Pay for US freighter is currently lower than PAX, as mentioned, however they are loosing guys over this and are working on making Cargo and Pax more even. Even with that, they give 15% of your pay for you to invest in 401K yourself, so having over 6400 a month to start is not bad at all. While in training and while in overnights at HK, you receive an envelope with perdiem which covers more than you would ever need and most guys just pocket the rest..Medical insurance is also AWESOME !! (no co-pays, even for drugs)

One thing to keep in mind - they have recently changed their training and now it is all done in half the time with the same information crammed into you, so the fail rate is climbing. My husband has always been top of his class at everything with flying and will tell all that training is like no other. It is VERY VERY hard and you are left to learn most of the book work on your own. They dont just judge your flying skills, they look at EVERYTHING (your calls, when they are said, how they are said, how you touch the control panel, your seat positioning etc etc)

Remember the big picture - Cathay is buying airlines and airplanes left and right and now flys all over China which is where all the money in the world is. They have never furloughed a pilot and probably never will. If you are looking for job security, look no further.. After spending 3 yrs flying cargo, you can go to HK and give your kids some of the best education their (CX's) money can buy AND your home is on them as well..

Just my two cents

P.S. If your tired of peanuts and pretzels, their food is also GREAT!!

Milehye,
you can' give your kids pollution to breathen HKG! and CX terminates employmnet contracts for pilots all the time, often for no "particular reason. CX is great but its not the holy grail you make it out to be. Like your husband said the "training is hard" the Checking far harder!

Last I checked - Holy Grail is not a term I used, nor is it a term I would use for any airline in the world. While termination is easier for them due to lack of union representation (whatever the hell thats good for), saying they fire pilots for no reason is like saying it rains everyday in Seattle - it's simply gossip according to the word of "The Hanger" that gets better with every one liner a person puts on here. One thing this company is not - is financially stupid. Spend five minutes researching their owners (The Swire Group) and you will see that they are well on their way to taking over Asia. If they fire someone - like it or not, they were probably doing something wrong - that is how you keep a reputation for being the best.
People come on here ( and hopefully many other places) looking for information to make an educated decision on their careers as we did. I was simply stating more than one side to this job. There is bad AND good.
As for the pollution you so polited stated I can give my son, Hong Kong is actually not one of the top 10 worst polluted cities in the world - it's also not the only place to live if you stay there for 3 years. Most of the guys living there ( as we will) live on the beaches outside the area where the air is much nice.

You did my new-hire indoc in Sanford back in '01. I was a strike casualty. I Just put 2 and 2 together and figured out who you were. Glad to know you've moved on from CMR. Hope you're enjoying CP. You never forget your instructors but you'd never know who I was since I was one of many new-hire EMB students.:)

Last edited:
How long to hold ATL?

Well thats a tough one to answer. The employee website only shows PAX base vacancies and not freighter. So the only folks who can answer that accurately is the basings office.

Depending when you join and where the current guys on that base are in their 3 year commitment will determine the vacancies so it could be right away (not likely) or a year + possibly.

The latest rumor is for MIA to open but we don't have the crews to support that operation. If and when it does that might open some more vacancies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back