• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be put on leave without pay, just like any company in the states. CP told me that directly.

I've seen threads that have not been so kind to the atmosphere at Cathay. What's the deal with how things work at Cathay? I remember the Cathay website having more information about what to expect than what I was able to find. I guess 2yrs in HK and then possibly getting a base in North America? Any place to find some more info?

What are the real mins? I'm a res mil guy on the west coast looking for the cargo gig and can't find anything....Any ideas on how to get an in?

Tommy, the atmosphere is getting better all the time.

A. They are truly desperate for pilots and with a record # of guys leaving for higher paying jobs like UPS or getting recalled to their previous carriers they are being sqeezed and are changing they way they do checking, training, and the overall way they treat us. Watch this space for a pay raise.
If they don't keep guys from leaving airplanes will be parked soon.

The atmospere overall is very good, just a few bad apples like anywhere. The biggest complaints are money and scheduling, again, like anywhere.

B. After a few have been fired unjustly and are now sueing and winning the company is taking notice.

No need to be based in Hong Kong if hired as an FO. As an SO you have to give a little time in Hong Kong, but some guys are getting picked up for freighter FO slots early and getting out of HKG in less then 1 year. Don't know of any guys getting a US base after doing that.

KCPilot, I don't think anyone knows what the real mins are, but you definatly neet them hours wise. I had 2800 fast jet time, about 1800 TPIC time and got on as a DEFO.

Last edited:
Tommy, the atmosphere is getting better all the time.

A. They are truly desperate for pilots and with a record # of guys leaving for higher paying jobs like UPS or getting recalled to their previous carriers they are being sqeezed and are changing they way they do checking, training, and the overall way they treat us. Watch this space for a pay raise.
If they don't keep guys from leaving airplanes will be parked soon.

The atmospere overall is very good, just a few bad apples like anywhere. The biggest complaints are money and scheduling, again, like anywhere.

B. After a few have been fired unjustly and are now sueing and winning the company is taking notice.

No need to be based in Hong Kong if hired as an FO. As an SO you have to give a little time in Hong Kong, but some guys are getting picked up for freighter FO slots early and getting out of HKG in less then 1 year. Don't know of any guys getting a US base after doing that.

KCPilot, I don't think anyone knows what the real mins are, but you definatly neet them hours wise. I had 2800 fast jet time, about 1800 TPIC time and got on as a DEFO.

Can anyone give examples of "typicall" 747-400 cargo routes flown by the US crews? Are they most often LA or NY to ANC and then on to HKG and maybe one other Asian destination or do you also get some Europe, ME, Africa, etc.? Do you get much route variety on the cargo side or even some adhoc trips? Listing typical destinations would be appreciated.

Very typical sked:

LAX-ANC, night, ANC-HKG, 1.5 days off, HKG-ANC, night, ANC-LAX, finished.

5 days to do, 2 trips a month.

Every once in a while you have to do a "W" pattern from ANC, that's a nine day trip.

I have one 5 day and one 9 day in July.

Sometimes you do a ANC-DAL-ATL, or something similar, on the way back or a local flight while in HKG.

Never have done a Europe or Middle-East.

Last edited:
Bjammin,
How hard is it to get LAX right from the start. Can you transfer to the pax side in LAX or do you have to go to H.K. first. Also am I getting this straight. You normally only do 2 of those 5 day trips a month? If so can what can you expect on first year pay? Thanks.

You can get LAX out of the starting gates. All bases are open right now. When you transfer to the PAX fleet you can stay on your base if it's open, again all are open right now and the fleet is expanding.

Yes, two 5 day trips a month is about it. I cleared about 6300 a month first year with retirement and per-diem included.

You can get LAX out of the starting gates. All bases are open right now. When you transfer to the PAX fleet you can stay on your base if it's open, again all are open right now and the fleet is expanding.

Does that include ORD, or is that still not available to new hires?

ORD is open right now, 95% sure.

Latest resources

Back