• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are there a "minimum" number of days off per month? From what I've read/searched for here, sounds like most guys are doing 2 trips per month, of 5-7 days each?

42 paid vacation days ain't too shabby! Does this work out to 3 months off per year, or doesn't it work like that?

quote]

There is no minimum number of days off per month. How much they can work you is governed by Hong Kong flight time limitations. Here is a quote...
"A Flight Crew member will not act as Flight Crew of an aircraft if at the beginning of
the flight:
a. the total of all previous Sector Times during the period of twenty eight
consecutive days expiring at the end of the day on which the flight begins
exceeds one hundred hours; or
b. the total of all previous Sector Times during the period of twelve calendar
months, expiring at the end of the previous month, exceeds nine hundred
hours." If you do the math it averages 75 hours a month. There is talk that Cathay is petitioning the HKCAD right now to have these hour requirements lengthened. Hopefully they will be preserved.​

Our contract reads "Officers entitled to forty two (42) days' Annual Leave will receive a minimum of ninety two (92) Guaranteed Days Off per year." Since we are on salary for the majority of our pay they are all basically paid days off (hourly duty pay makes up only a very little part of our check unless you are into overtime which starts at 84 hours).

Cheers

Another stupid question

So, I've heard all sorts of 'rumors' (mainly from guys I'm flying with in Europe) that say that CX is a terribly boring place to work. I've heard you can't read books or newspapers in the flight deck. I know that most carriers have that rule but what the heck do you do for 12 freekin' hours on a long haul flight without reading the free USA Today, latest novel or doing Sudoku? I would think the brain would stop functioning due to inactivity.

I've done some flying across the pond with empty aircraft and even with our position checks and fuel checks, we still had time to watch a show on the laptop.

Again, I'd be willing to put that all aside to have a stable place to work and get me back in the ol' Red, White and Blue but I'm just wondering what it's like.

Cya,

CP

Cal me anal if you wish, but aren't you employed as a pilot - to do your job for 84 hours a month? Too much to ask? If it is, then you really shouldn't consider Cathay at all.

Our FOMs' clearly state that nothing other than "company publications" are to be read on the flight deck. Movies? You have to be kidding. Try watching a movie while you're at the controls and discover how fast CX sacks people.

It's not as bad as all that, my god.

Sure CX is pretty anal about that sort of stuff, but they also now say that short naps on the flight deck are authorized.

I personally, as well as many captains, think it's better to keep the mind working with something of interest or taking a nap when the other guys is alert then just staring off into space or both zoning out for 8 hours.

So, is it accurate to say that one eye on the USA Today and one eye on the flight displays is OK? Just dont bust out the Video Ipod or God forbidden the damn laptop! Its that about right?

What do you say the % of Capt is cool with that?

Or am I completely wrong, that sorta reading is not at all allowed at CX?

Im not a slacker, but boredom is the #1 compliant of job un-satisfiction (other than lack of advancment and seeminly unfair treatment, scientifically speaking).

rhinodriver;1457941 Our contract reads "Officers entitled to forty two (42) days' Annual Leave will receive a minimum of ninety two (92) Guaranteed Days Off per year." Since we are on salary for the majority of our pay they are all basically paid days off (hourly duty pay makes up only a very little part of our check unless you are into overtime which starts at 84 hours). Cheers[/quote said:
Thanks again Rhino, but I think I'm more confused now than before. 92 guaranteed days off per year is only 7.666 days per month, no?

Majority Says

I would agree that 35,000 ft is not the best place to be whippin' out the iPod or Laptop. I would also agree that having a book open or newspaper would not be bad.

I think the primary difference is like when I'm at home. It's much easier for me to drown out the wife's chattin' when I'm watching a show on the tube compared to when I'm reading a book. It's much easier to keep the head alert but still in the flying game when you're reading compared to not doing anything.

Who knows, maybe those CX Captains are just so incredibly interesting to listen to that I won't want to read anything...;)

Cya,

CP

Thanks again Rhino, but I think I'm more confused now than before. 92 guaranteed days off per year is only 7.666 days per month, no?

You raise a good point and something to consider before you decide to come here. We have no trip or duty rig parts of our contract to protect us. We are basically protected by the flight time limitations that I mentioned before. The company has worked some freighter captains into 100 hours a month. This will soon stop as the passenger guys are now flying the freighter so there are more bodies to throw at the problem of scheduling. I listed the number of days I've had off per month as a year two (non-relief) first officer below.
Aug - 18
Sep - 24 (14 were leave)
Oct - 14
Nov - 14
Dec - 18
One other thing to consider is my trips start pretty late at night and I live in domicile. So I get the whole day off before I have to go to work. But my schedule doesn't account for that. It just depends on how you want to look at it. I've only been into overtime twice with the company and both times were less than 2 hours. The relief guys do a couple of extra days a month, but that should ease up a bit as the company brings more relief folks to the line. Recently the relief qualification became an add on at the end of initial training. They just haven't gotten around to me yet (not that I'm actively seeking them out either).

So to answer your question.... I guess they could work you as much as they wanted per month within the guidelines of the flight time limitations of Hong Kong law. Right now I'm pretty happy with the time off...

Latest resources

Back