• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathay Career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not sure how competitive you would be but... no it's not required.

The Amount of studying required for a college degree does not compare to the amount of Book time required at CX. If you have 15 days off a month, you better either be in the books a few days or be "reading" company publications when at work. If you don't think you need to study, ask around and see how many pilots have failed the Pre Command Assessment interview.

Which makes sense. Well yes if someone wants that job bad enough looks like they will be studying for quite some time. But its not like aviation takes a rocket scientist to figure out.

Does anybody know what will new hire SO will be making in 2008. if given a choice which fleet should one take. B747400 or B777 or A340. can someone also talk about SO QOL and Roster every month. Thanks.

pros and cons

Can someone who has been working at CX for awhile post some of the Pros and Cons as far as they see them?

So far, as reported here:
Pros: Good to Very Good pay, Respected among peers, Repid Gowth opp, Operate in a Region (Asia) with indef expansion and very limited supply of pilots, Good eqq., Internation exp, 15.5% retirment, Housing and education supplimented, (insiders....please add on)

Cons: Training is serious, Studying is Really serious, No reading on Etops (other than FOM etc), Limited control on one's own schedule, age 55-65! (100% worst than 60-65), No real job protection other than the natural forces of supply and demand, Pollution of HK (smogs, high density).....(insiders....please add on, but be fair)

Thanks in advance, its important to know most of the pros and cons to make the proper decision.

Trash8mofo-
I've been at Cathay around a year and a half, coming from a regional background in the States.
Pros-you've listed most of them. One thing I consider a big pro with CX is over the course of my career I have the opportunity to be based and live almost anywhere I choose. Being based in HK gives one the opportunity to travel to a lot of places that would just be too difficult from here at home, and if based in HK you can take up temporary bases in places like Paris, Rome, etc.
Cons-Don't be afraid of the training machine. Studying IS serious, but it's not difficult. I rarely find it's neccessary to study for anything while one is at home (except for the Pre-Command Assesment). So far, I've found the sim training and recurrent training to be as simple or easier than where I previously came from.
No reading on the flight deck? Yes, that's company policy but I've YET to fly with someone who doesn't carry a magazine or newspaper with them. Of course there's a time and place for everything-flying through the Himalayas might not be the best time to be distracted by the new Maxim. Usually good airmanship prevails. Also, believe it or not, you will find yourself spending a decent amount of time flipping through the FCOMs on the flight deck. Because I fly so infrequently, I find myself thinking "how does that work again?, or what's the procedure for that?" and digging in the books to find the answer. Trust me, on a 10 or 11 hour flight you start wondering things.
The schedule thing-yes, limited control of ones schedule but I actually kind of like it-no spending wasted hours looking through lines or assigning preferences with PBS just to not get what you want anyway! I relax, and on the 15th of the month find out waht I'm doing the following month. Rarely a problem.
Job protection-if you're a normal guy/gal who shows up to work ontime, does your job, and tries to stay on top of things you'll be fine.
ONE real con though-lack of jumpseat here in the states. It takes a little getting used to, but the long run it's worth it; and once you buy a few tickets here and there you'll wonder why you ever bothered nonreving in the first place.
Hope that helps a bit, Cheers

Jumpseat policy

Obviously I wouln't see why it would change but has there been any talk of allowing CX pilots to join CASS so they could jumpseat?

I want to live in OR someday but CX isn't going to be opening a PDX base anytime soon so then what? Do guys not commute at CX?

CP

Actually most guys commute here. They do it on ID 90 tickets and the occasional full fare.

Do the US based guys.gals have access to the Pass Office in the US, online, or can they only get the passes while they are physically in HK?

Latest resources

Back