Ca't figure out this holding instruction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anne,

I wish you were here right now in front of me. With a paper and pencil, I could draw it out quick and make it EASY for you. Maybe your CFI needs a little instruction himself

Holding clearances

Anne said:
I flew with a CFI yesterday, for some instrument brush up. He told me to track to the VOR, then hold west of the VOR on the 090° radial. I thought he messed up. But he insisted he was right, that I would physically be on the 270° radial, but heading 090° inbound. I can't make sense of this. I guess I must need more brush up than I thought!
No, your instructor gave you a bum clearance.

Take apart each part of it:

Hold WEST means just that. The 270º radial means just that. VORs have radials upon which you hold. Your inbound course is not a radial but the no-wind heading you will fly to reach the VOR, and, of course, is the reciprocal of the radial in question. So, your airplane will be placed west of the station, flying east toward it. 090º is the reciprocal of 270º.

Hope that helps. Be sure to tune and identify your station and ask "ATC" for an EFC time for lost comm if it is not provided.

Excellent advice all around. Drop that bum instructor. A good instructor is always learning and listening. Yours isn't doing either.

labbats said:
Drop that bum instructor. A good instructor is always learning and listening. Yours isn't doing either.

Without going into holding instruction...you have gotten plenty of that on this thread, I WILL agree with labbats and his advice.

Latest resources

Back