CASS rules?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

woog315

Can someone explain the rules of jumpseating or link me to an explanation? I'm having a hard time getting anything useful on google. Specifically, I'm trying to find out what the rules are in regards to companies repositioning crews as jumpseaters. Is that an ok thing to do? I'm under the impression that it isn't, but I'd like to hear why.

I work for a very small 135 company and we recently got CASS (we're just paying for it, we can't reciprocate due to being nonscheduled), but we're not real clear on how everything works.

Can someone explain the rules of jumpseating or link me to an explanation? I'm having a hard time getting anything useful on google. Specifically, I'm trying to find out what the rules are in regards to companies repositioning crews as jumpseaters. Is that an ok thing to do? I'm under the impression that it isn't, but I'd like to hear why.

I work for a very small 135 company and we recently got CASS (we're just paying for it, we can't reciprocate due to being nonscheduled), but we're not real clear on how everything works.
You can't schedule people to jumpseat. sounds like your company is trying to get around paying for a ticket. Just tell the Capt. what your company is trying he will refuse you, and your off the hook with your company.

Most carriers will not allow your company to jumpseat if they do not receive a reciprocal agreement. My undestanding of no-charge "jumpseat" access is governed by mutual corporate agreements. Even if your company does not participate in CASS, but we have an agreement, you can sit in an empty cabin seat if your company has agreements with us. CASS participation and verification is required to physically occupy the cockpit jumpseat per the REGs.

Jumpseating is for PERSONAL use only. If you're commuting, going snowboarding, or visiting your mistress, it's acceptable to use the jumpseat as a method of travel.

If your company wants you to use the jumpseat to relocate for THEIR convenience, tell them to go pound sand. Company business is not what the jumpseat is for. If they want you somewhere, they can pay to get you there.

CASS won't help you out one bit unless you work out reciprocal jumpseat agreements with other airlines. If the company is making you pay for CASS on the premise that it will help them get you places, get your money back and go buy a beer.

In addition to not using the jumpseat for company business, stick by these rules and you'll be ok:

1. Be polite. The jumpseat isn't yours, and you're trying to ride for free, so kiss everyone's ass between the terminal and that jumpseat.

2. ASK permission from the flight crew. See #1. The captain is the final authority for you jumpseating, especially if you're riding in the cockpit.

3. Stay calm. Crap happens a lot with jumpseaters. Gate agents, weight and balance, weather. Sometimes you just won't be able to get on. Keep a backup plan handy.

Hi!

Many airlines use CASS in lieu of an agreement, either by design, or in practice.

"Oh, you're in CASS! Great. Welcome aboard!"
Meanwhile, the JSer's airline does NOT have an agreement with the transporting airline, but everyone assumes they do, because they're in CASS.

Or, some airlines say anyone can JS IF they're in CASS, so it is used in place of a list.

And, some airlines' pilots ARE able to JS without any, or very little, reciprocation.

If it's company business, the company should pay. If they are trying to weasle out of paying, by requiring the pilots to JS instead, they may lose their JS privaleges with ALL the airlines they currently have agreements with.

cliff
GRB

Hi!

Many airlines use CASS in lieu of an agreement, either by design, or in practice.

"Oh, you're in CASS! Great. Welcome aboard!"
Meanwhile, the JSer's airline does NOT have an agreement with the transporting airline, but everyone assumes they do, because they're in CASS.

Or, some airlines say anyone can JS IF they're in CASS, so it is used in place of a list.

And, some airlines' pilots ARE able to JS without any, or very little, reciprocation.

If it's company business, the company should pay. If they are trying to weasle out of paying, by requiring the pilots to JS instead, they may lose their JS privaleges with ALL the airlines they currently have agreements with.

cliff
GRB

This is the situation we've found ourselves in so far, most airlines have been very friendly in allowing us to ride along and we even have individual agreements with a couple of majors.

I will make sure my company does not try to abuse the system, particularly since we pilots are paying out of our pockets and very much don't want to lose the privilege of visiting our families with what little time off we have. Thanks for all the replies.

CASS is just an employment verification tool. It is designed just to verify your employment and should only matter IF you are going to occupy the Flight Deck Jumpseat, not a cabin seat. You cannot set in the Flight Deck Jumpseat in ANY airline without being a CASS member.

I'll jump in here. I have only done part 121 flying since my CFI stuff and have no idea how the 135 world works so my logic might be flawed.

Anyways using the jumpseat for company movement is a big no no. The jumpseat should only be used for personal travel such as commuting, seeing friends and family, etc. If someone finds out that you are jumpseating for company movement then that airline will more than likely put your company on thier "no jumpseat list"

What other people are saying about needing a recip agreement is usually true. Most airlines will not let you jumpseat unless you have an agreement with them. However most gate agents will let you thru the door with just CASS verification. Once you get past the gate agent then there is a good chance that you will get on the flight since most guys probably wont bust out the recip list to make sure you're on it.

Using the jumpseat to move people seems like a dumb thing to me. There are too many variables and too much of a chance to have the person not get where they are going when they need to be there which seems like a bad thing for a 135 boss man.

Anyways enjoy cass and hope you get to visit some long lost family/buddies on those off days.

Latest resources

Back