• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CASS and MLOA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any of you guys on MLOA still allowed in CASS. I am showing up as a current employee but unauthorized to Jump. I was wondering if it is a TSA thing or your own airline.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim,
It's your airline causing the "problem". When you jumpseat the gate agent / CSR inputs your data into the system. The "system" in turns contacts your company system to verify you are who you claim to be. When you go on Mil Leave the computer system at your airline doesn't show you as active, and in turn passes no data along to the CASS system. This is why you get CASS denial. I think Scrapdog said it correctly that you get denied cockpit acess however you are still eligible to ride in the back. The first thing you should do is contact your union jumpseat rep and get the skinny.
Biff

Scrap, you're in the wrong on this one. Debrief rules apply.

Coming from another fighter bro (albeit retired from the mighty Eaglejet), I can say that this thread is like a debrief. Leave your supercharged ego at the vault door and walk on down to the room, close the door, and let the gloves come off. This thread and rebuke is NOT about your military service. Lord knows we need a new crop of fighter pilots to drink Weed and chase the bad guys.

The thread IS about your inability to follow the rules, especially when the fallout of such an action could negatively impact the rest of the airline community.

Exactly how would you explain your presence in a cockpit to the FAA or TSA if caught? Yes, the Captain invited you. He was wrong. You accepted the ride--you were equally wrong. The gate agent knew that you were not CASS qualified--they were wrong. You knew that you were not CASS qualified, yet you accepted the seat. You screwed up, son.

It won't take much for the CASS program to be rescinded or subject to far more "pain in the butt" factors if examples of impropriety leak out. Thus Rez is correct--you endangered MY program for your own benefit. How selfish is that?

Scrap, accept this verbal slap for what it is--a screw up. Fess up, learn from it, move on.

Cockpit without CASS

Ease up, Rez. An F/A asks the Captain if I can ride in the cockpit, he says yes, I get on the airplane. The option was to say "no thanks, Captain," and not go home. Don't you advocate Captains' authority?
I think you must be in CASS to offline JS in the cockpit. The Capt alone can not grant Cockpit JS without violating 121 and TSA regs.

Scrap, you're in the wrong on this one. Debrief rules apply.

Coming from another fighter bro (albeit retired from the mighty Eaglejet), I can say that this thread is like a debrief. Leave your supercharged ego at the vault door and walk on down to the room, close the door, and let the gloves come off. This thread and rebuke is NOT about your military service. Lord knows we need a new crop of fighter pilots to drink Weed and chase the bad guys.

The thread IS about your inability to follow the rules, especially when the fallout of such an action could negatively impact the rest of the airline community.

Exactly how would you explain your presence in a cockpit to the FAA or TSA if caught? Yes, the Captain invited you. He was wrong. You accepted the ride--you were equally wrong. The gate agent knew that you were not CASS qualified--they were wrong. You knew that you were not CASS qualified, yet you accepted the seat. You screwed up, son.

It won't take much for the CASS program to be rescinded or subject to far more "pain in the butt" factors if examples of impropriety leak out. Thus Rez is correct--you endangered MY program for your own benefit. How selfish is that?

Scrap, accept this verbal slap for what it is--a screw up. Fess up, learn from it, move on.

PsubS - fair enough. For the record, I didn't "screw up" j/s'ing...I was defending Magnum who had the incident - but it doesn't matter - your words are noted and accepted.

Am I a little overly fired up on this? Yes, I will admit. However, listening to Rez play high and mighty on j/s'ing and then coming over to a mil thread while we are quietly talking amongst the bro's is kind of like your 3rd shot of weed - it tastes like crap and provides you absolutely nothing worth of value.

Guys, I think you misunderstood what happened. I gave my badge and passport to the gate agent. She asked me if I was in CASS, I said "I'm not sure." My airline IS in CASS, but I may not be active right now. I do not know if FDX has dropped me in CASS. She said "standby." She appeared to have trouble with CASS at the gate, and it's unknown whether or not it was operator or system error. I still do not know if she pulled me up in CASS or not. I do not think she did, but I can't verify that.

Three F/As were waiting on a j/s and all traveling together. There were no seats in the back, but one decided to help me out and walked to the flightdeck just before door closing and asked if the Capt if I could ride up front. He said yes. The F/A walked back up and told me to go on down. I did. From the captain's perspective, he probably assumed I was verified in CASS. It's probably not relevant, but he was an IOE Capt with an LCA in the right seat (who was also an FFDO and carrying).

Maybe I should've doublechecked whether or not they verified me in CASS. I didn't think it was this big of a deal. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

Last edited:
No, you're not wrong. This is much ado about nothing. The whole point of CASS is to protect us against them. Nothing more, nothing less. It's kind of like racial profiling. The CA made a judgement call and that's that. If anyone sincerely thinks we'll all lose J/S privileges b/c Magnum got by with one then they're not seeing the bigger picture.

Scrap--sorry. I didn't read the previous posts closely enough and confused you with Magnum.

Magnum, you posted this previously:
I rode in the cockpit without processing through CASS.

Sounds like you knew what was going on, but hey... I could be wrong. By the way, the fact that there was a check airman/FFDO in the right seat is indeed irrelevant.

If anyone, Deuce included, believes that this program is bulletproof and can't go away at the drop of a bureaucratic hat, you're wrong. Perhaps this misstep won't be the tripwire, but similar circumstances could easily lead to big problems with the cockpit jumpseat. Its probably a good idea to be a little cautious, guys.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Rez is Mr. ALPA. He shouldn't want to screw a ALPA "brother". He is completely not about true union brotherhood. He probably picks up trips while fellow ALPA bro's are furloughed. He just wants to lecture you with all his wisdom.

I am playing devil's advocate here. So what is the point of CASS then? Just let anyone with ID on the flightdeck. What if they have an ID but forgot their license? Where do you draw the line? In my opinion/feeling is that Magnum knew that it was the last flight out possibly and he would have been stuck if he did not get on. I have a hard time believing that this was the first jumpseat he did while on that stint of mil leave and did not know whether he was in CASS or not. Just a thought.

Latest resources

Back