Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Carrying Food/Drinks into Cockpit-Legal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagleflip

Gang--

Did a search on this and found nothing, so I want to run it by you.

Our FOM says that we are not to bring food or drinks into the cockpit inflight. When I asked a check airman about the rule he said that there is a regulation prohibiting such a thing on a 121 flight. Apparently it is ok for the Flight Attendant to hand it over the threshold, but you can't carry it yourself. Go figure.

I've never read this particular rule, but hey...I'm not the sharpest tool in the CFR shed either. Anybody know the particulars on this?

By the way, I've been looking for a good site for aviation CFRs on the web. What's the address--and can we download the regs onto a laptop as well?

Thanx!

Eagleflip.

I've never heard that about not being able to carry our own food or drinks into the cockpit, so I can't help you with that, but I do have a good site for FARs online.

Click here for Title 14 CFR online.

I caught the red eye back from San fran on midwest Last sunday, the pilots had carried not only drinks but a whole meal.

I don't see how or why that should be a problem.

I bring a small collapsable cooler in the cockpit with me every time I fly. I bring a lot of my food on trips to save money (I'm a poor FO). The company even provided these for crewmembers awhile back for some promotional thing. I see tons of pilots with them. If this indeed is a rule then at least half of SkyWest pilots are violating this every day.

Well, here is one more thing that may be found in the cockpit if a "gentleman" on my last flight has anything to do with it.

After a very smooth flight with only a avionics cooling blower fan going T/U. I was approached by this person. He informed me that he was very upset that I came into the cabin and spoke with the F/A. I thought he was upset thinking that I had spent too much time conversing with her. He continued though and I caught his drift. I was informed that I should not come out of the cockpit at all after 9/11 and all. He said I was not taking my responsibility seriously enough. Then he said that we should make arrangements before hand to take a jug up to the cockpit. It was then that I fully understood what this "gentleman" was referring too. He was upset that I came out to take a leak. He wants us all to take a jug to the cockpit to relieve ourselves into. It took a lot not to laugh into his face! He was dead serious! He never cracked a smile and continued to chastise me as he was walking away....

I must say, it was one of the most unusual requests that I have had in my airline career.

Any how, I guess as long as we have the jug in the front of the aircraft before we take off, we can "carry" our beverages to the front to put into the jug.

Whaddya think eagle flip??? should we introduce it as a new security measure???

Ok so let me get this straight:

No food, no drinks, no bathroom breaks, no little kids who would love to see the best view in the house, and no conjucal visits.

Hell prisoners have it better than you guys. And people are crying that prisoners need more freedoms.

:p :D

And dont forget, the TSA can take our licenses away with a wink and a nod, and no right of appeal, being presented with the evidence, or being able to confront your accuser.

Even convicted felons get an appeal - in death penalty cases and its automatic in most states.

Makes ya proud dont it?

Flipper,

Don't forget the AIM. Here's the online link:AIM

If you find a way to download it for offline use, please let me know either here, PM, or company e-mail.

JayDub

colorado418 said:
Well, here is one more thing that may be found in the cockpit if a "gentleman" on my last flight has anything to do with it.

After a very smooth flight with only a avionics cooling blower fan going T/U. I was approached by this person. He informed me that he was very upset that I came into the cabin and spoke with the F/A. I thought he was upset thinking that I had spent too much time conversing with her. He continued though and I caught his drift. I was informed that I should not come out of the cockpit at all after 9/11 and all. He said I was not taking my responsibility seriously enough. Then he said that we should make arrangements before hand to take a jug up to the cockpit. It was then that I fully understood what this "gentleman" was referring too. He was upset that I came out to take a leak. He wants us all to take a jug to the cockpit to relieve ourselves into. It took a lot not to laugh into his face! He was dead serious! He never cracked a smile and continued to chastise me as he was walking away....

I must say, it was one of the most unusual requests that I have had in my airline career.

Any how, I guess as long as we have the jug in the front of the aircraft before we take off, we can "carry" our beverages to the front to put into the jug.

Whaddya think eagle flip??? should we introduce it as a new security measure???
"

I would not have hesitated to laugh in his face.

Eagleflip said:

Our FOM says that we are not to bring food or drinks into the cockpit inflight. When I asked a check airman about the rule he said that there is a regulation prohibiting such a thing on a 121 flight. Apparently it is ok for the Flight Attendant to hand it over the threshold, but you can't carry it yourself. Go figure.

I shouldn't answer the question considering you went to that little agricultural school down the road from Carolina Blue (big grin) BUT I had this discussion at United. The reason it could be interpreted as being illegal is this. The Feds at times want to interpret leaving the cockpit for physiological needs as using the bathroom only. All other needs you have can be brought to you by the flight attendant. Now this was obviously pre 9/11 thinking. And yes it is anal interpretation considering getting water and food is physiological to me.

Frats,
Humble

Latest resources

Back