• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Caribbean Airlines 737 Crashes in Guyana

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it possible the crew retracted them in an effort to increase weight on wheels after touchdown. Not that I am condoning such a practice but it seems strange for them to be retracted. What Vapp would that aircraft need in that configuration. I know in the MD-11 you would dang near a dry lake bed to stop it clean if you were heavy.

Is it possible the crew retracted them in an effort to increase weight on wheels after touchdown. Not that I am condoning such a practice but it seems strange for them to be retracted. What Vapp would that aircraft need in that configuration. I know in the MD-11 you would dang near a dry lake bed to stop it clean if you were heavy.

Funny. That crossed my mind as a scenario. Dumping the flaps for a short field landing is a technique if you're flying a C172, in the mountains of New Guinea. In a 737-8 you'd have to be a half wit to try it. The flaps would arrive at '0' after you departed from the runway ....

A guess for a clean Vapp would be 185-190 knots, depending on lots of stuff.

That aircraft was delivered new to Sun Country and was ship 810SY.

GEO is not a short runway. I flew a 737-800 into there for about a year. Nothing hard whatsoever. True there is no ILS because there doesn't need to be one. Its unfortunate, not having the flaps down doesn't mean they didn't do an after landing check or securing check which would call to raise the flaps which can be done on the electric hydraulic pumps. Remember that these pilots may not have had as much experience as pilots in the US have. Simple, unfathomable mistakes to us seem to be happening more and more in third world countries as their pilots move into the left seats.

Good grief!!!
That is just plain dumb. If you have the presence of mind to think of that (retracting the flaps after touchdown) while you are whistling down the runway,, you should have thought of a go-around minutes before.

Let's not be politically correct here. It is what it is.

Hung

That's the whole purpose of the speed brakes, destroy the lift over the wings upon touchdown, putting all the weight onto the mains for max braking effect.

Why would they run the after landing checklist and not stow the reversers? Not only that, but once that thing broke in two, I doubt they had any control over the flaps or motors, which leads me to suspect they landed that way, and that was the position the thing came to rest in!

That's the whole purpose of the speed brakes, destroy the lift over the wings upon touchdown, putting all the weight onto the mains for max braking effect.

Why would they run the after landing checklist and not stow the reversers? Not only that, but once that thing broke in two, I doubt they had any control over the flaps or motors, which leads me to suspect they landed that way, and that was the position the thing came to rest in!

Good point. They did probably land without the flaps, but the question is why? The only time I can think of for landing with flaps 0 is that they failed in the up position. I didn't see the picture was there any leading edge flaps down? Then you would be able to tell if it was a failure of the trailing flaps or if they simply forgot and then ignored the landing configuration warning horn the whole way down. I can hear it now on the CVR " will you please shut that horn off I am trying to land here". Hopefully the NTSB will have this wrapped up soon.

Avherald:

Georgetown Airport's fire commander told the investigators that firefighters observed the aircraft as it approached but touched down only about half way down the runway abeam the terminal building with about 3000 feet of runway remaining. They needed to douse engine #2 (right hand engine) which was emitting smoke after the aircraft came to a stop.

Aviation sources said, the aircraft touched down with flaps fully extended (40 degrees).

You know in 14000 hours and 4 Jet types I had never heard that.

It is referred to as speculation for a reason. Everyone just spitballing possibilities since no one will know until after the investigation. In my 20 years of aviation I have seen people do things in jets they learned in a 172 and thought it was just fine to do so. There would be no good reason to bring up the flaps like you would in a 172 but who knows maybe this crew did not know this was not appropriate or safe in a 737.

Latest resources

Back