• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cargo Gig Advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Put me down for agreeing with the guys that have been around awhile telling FNGs to stay away.

I always laugh at you guys that get so bent out of shape when someone criticizes this industry, or god forbid, their airline.

This business blows and it's getting worse every year. Stay far away! If I could do it all again, I'd be a plumber and an electrician and start my own company. Guaranteed job security right there with knowing those two trades. Probably could be a millionaire in no time if you bought some trucks and hired some employees.

Aviation blows and part if the reason is the people like you that keep telling everyone how great it is even though you know it blows. BWTFDIK

Well, I for one am not bent out of shape that you hate my industry, I just think it sucks that you and Redmeat are involved in it when you hate it so much.

A plumber or electrician, really? Of course I know the world needs those people and I respect what they do...and they MAY have job security, but have you ever noticed how much a job like that can also suck? It really is hard labor. Ever seen a plumber with his whole arm stuck down a sewage pipe or get blasted with a facefull of putrid sludge? Well that's what they do every day. And as far as the job security, I'm sure it's not as great as you think (nothing really is secure these days). You think none of those guys ever got laid off from the places they work for? Starting your own business with trucks and the whole bit sounds great but how many plumbers or electricians have the means to do that? Why don't they all do that? Because it's easier said than done, that's why. Anywhere you try to start up a business there's already going to be plenty of competition in place with years of experience and a customer base, yadda yadda.

Aviation is great, as far as I'm concerned. I love what I do. And yes, I've been laid off with a wife and kids and bills to pay and all that. This isn't some 20 year old single kid talking.

Pilotyip gets it. I get it. I hope you do too someday.

"If you love what do you, you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Words to live by.

If I could do it all again, I'd be a plumber and an electrician and start my own company. Guaranteed job security right there with knowing those two trades. Probably could be a millionaire in no time if you bought some trucks and hired some employees.

So what is stopping you from starting??? Go to school, get your license and become a millionaire. :beer:

Pilotyip gets it. I get it. I hope you do too someday.

"If you love what do you, you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Words to live by.
"cool"

A plumber or electrician, really? Of course I know the world needs those people and I respect what they do...and they MAY have job security, but have you ever noticed how much a job like that can also suck? It really is hard labor. Ever seen a plumber with his whole arm stuck down a sewage pipe or get blasted with a facefull of putrid sludge? Well that's what they do every day. And as far as the job security, I'm sure it's not as great as you think (nothing really is secure these days). You think none of those guys ever got laid off from the places they work for? Starting your own business with trucks and the whole bit sounds great but how many plumbers or electricians have the means to do that? Why don't they all do that? Because it's easier said than done, that's why. Anywhere you try to start up a business there's already going to be plenty of competition in place with years of experience and a customer base, yadda yadda.

100% correct. In my previous 3 year layoff, I got involved in the construction/electrician world. Job security? Certainly not. Many jobs we've gotten were 1-2 days, with an occasional 2 week job thrown in. Jobs are not as plenty as one would like to think. Research how many companies have gone out of business (of all home-improvement fields, it' astonishing). Fierce competition drove the profits down for all jobs, many would work just to work with very little profit. I've heard of contractors taking jobs that paid enough to keep their workers employed. Not as green as it seems.

Fierce competition drove the profits down for all jobs, many would work just to work with very little profit.
How is that different than the airlines?

i think everyone would agree flying an airplane is a kick ass job to have, but unfortunately if your not your own boss your going to have to put up with somebody else's agenda and that can suck. some people use humor to defuse tension some people use anger. just two different ways to swallow th same lemon. I know of nothing else id rather be doing, but i would sure like to be my own boss. Have cake and eat it to!

"Mr. Towns, you behave as if stupidity were a virtue. Why is that? "

a little advice

Do yourself and your family a big favor. Get on amazon.com/ebay/. Buy every Dave Ramsey book that you can find. Start with. The total money make over. Read them. Live your life by the principles he talks about in his books. Then you will enjoy any flying job you have, and you will not worry about furlough constantly. This is what I have found anyway.

Somewhere there is a guy on a plumbing forum, talking about how much his job sucks and he should have been a pilot!! :)

Latest resources

Back