• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cargo Flying in Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever they are paying you guys to fly in Africa it isnt enough. This is a great thread with some crazy and informative posts. Wow! Good luck cliff!

Hi!

I also like paying our mortgage and not losing our house. This job was the highest paying one I could find.

The senior capt here is 64, and he has flown in Africa for 35 years. The local FO we currently have is 62.

cliff
NBO

I think the disease you're talking about is Schistosomiasis (also known as Bilharzia). The parasite lives part of it's life in the snails and then finds another host to finish it's life cycle. It's supposed to be easily treatable with some medication. Theoretically you could get it (along with other lovely things you probably don't want) from any fresh water.
I ate fish from lake vic. Nile Perch are delicious.

Absolutely right- I caught it from a lake in Zimbabwe- urinating blood and other good things but a treatment with Praziquantal and it was gone. You usually get it from still, shallow water.

But there are lot's of other nastier things to worry about more.............;)

Absolutely right- I caught it from a lake in Zimbabwe- urinating blood and other good things but a treatment with Praziquantal and it was gone. You usually get it from still, shallow water.

But there are lot's of other nastier things to worry about more.............;)

WOW! Makes what you can catch from the domestic F/A's look like chicken pox! Hope you're doing well Cliff.

Yep, I picked up a healthy dose of Bil in Zaire / Congo in the 1990's. 7 large pills of Praziqualtel / Biltricide later and I was cured.

Okay, so I keep asking if you have seen any old people ?

I don't count pilots as locals because they are pilots.

What I was trying to point out, was to truly understand how pervasive AIDS is, by noticing the population demographics. I realize it is anecdotal but it leaves you wondering-are they all dead, are they all infected. Again was trying to say just be careful. Hope you still are having fun.

P.S. have you been on a Safari yet ?

Last edited:
Hi!

That IS the plane I am flying. As for outfits, I typically wear shorts and a t-shirt around here, with sandals. Wearing the DC-9 would be quite heavy and tiring, even if it was my outfit for only a short time.

I have been on a day safari to Lake Nakuru National Park (aka: Drunken Safari). I have posted a lot of photos of it (and other stuff from flying/living in East Africa) on facebook.

So far, I have seen everything except for elephants and full-size hippos. The coolest thing is that there are sometimes giraffes grazing in the fields just outside the airport road on the way to/from our duplex. They are quite large, and not very afraid of people.

I am very excited about my CEO coming to visit in a couple of months. I also really enjoy the flights where we carry lots of aid supplies (UN and Non-Governmental Agencies stuff).

cliff
NBO

PS-There are a lot of older people working in our company. When U walk around downtown, there ARE lots of younger people.

Hi!

Yeah, I'm liking the flying.

The bad part is the 6 months on, no commuting. I'm hoping I do 6 months (or less) and find a job with a better schedule.

US charter flying is starting to pick up, so I'm hopeful.

cliff
NBO

Cliff, tried to PM you, make some room in your inbox!

Hi!

Just cleared up some space.

Still hangin' in!

cliff
NBO

Latest resources

Back