• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cargo Flying in Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fedora- Where did you fly the CV 990/880?
Civilian contractor for the Navy. They had a CV-880 that they converted into a Tanker/Telemetry bird. One of the best jobs ever for seven years at Patuxent River Naval Air Test Center!
The 880 was a real beast that guzzled fuel like a pair of Phantoms in formation. Fast as hell, we chased cruise missiles with it!

Cippro and Immodium.
Good point! Also keep in mind that many antibiotics and other prescription drugs are available at many overseas locations without a prescription. Never travel without Imodium for sure.
If you ever get stuck with stomach problems and can't get anything. Go to the bar and order Compari (sp?) (Italian liquor) and soda. Worked for me in Entebbe once.

P.S. Those tings that look like air fresheners plugged into the wall of your hotel room? They are really mosuito repellant. So don't unplug them for too long. (they smell terrible)

But don't keep them plugged in too long either. I did that in Chennai (stinking city) so plugging in the airfreshner for a few hours didn't seem to be a bad idea. Hours later you wake up nauseated and later in the morning you see the fine print on the airfreshener: kills every mosquito in x cubic feet of space.

Cliff, all of the above plus:
-Stay away from Florida 1000 club :p
-Enjoy Casablanca restaurant, it's very nice.

BTW Where are you staying in NBO?

Cheers

Hi!

Thanx a TON for all the info. I'm at Eagle Pass Estates, or something like that. It's SUPPOSED to be a good "subdivision" (judging from the Mercedes/Audis/Lexus, etc.) parked in the driveways.

It was already suggested to me that I go to the FL1000 club!

I am flying out of NBO, to various destinations in East Africa. I showed up on a Mon night and was flying as FO Wed AM. The capt is French and has 33 years of African flying-lives in Kinshasa. He is fantastic.

We fly with 2 (or 3) pilots, an Engineer, a loadmaster, and a Flight Manager. The plane is an old DC-9. No RVSM, as most trips are under 1.5 hour legs.

Today we flew through Ugandan airspace without permission, because of a huge thunderstorm-we weren't in ATC contact. We eventually got a hold of Entebbe, and they helped us out until we got back with Nairobi.

It is DEFINITELY interesting.

cliff
NBO

Cliff Big sky theory, worked great back in the 60's when used to cross the Atlantic at FL250 VFR. Just pretent you are in the 60's flying a 60's airplane

Lol!!! This is insane.. No thanks, I'll take my LAX, SEA and HNL layovers.. This is interesting reading though... Be safe over there man..

Since everyone keeps suggesting that you go on Safari and check out Florida 1000. I'll offer my two cents on viewing the wildlife. Just like there are dangers in the national parks while on a tour, the dangers in the Safari being suggested are unseen but even more deadly, if you do anything more than look.

Just ask yourself one question whenever you are walking around, " where are all the old people " ?

I'll give you the answer they are all dead. But keep looking for an old person while you are over there, I've never seen one. So the bottom line is look but don't touch. Just my two cents, have fun.

Latest resources

Back