Cargo Fire in PHL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Propnose

Anybody have info about this? We are heading up to TEB this morning, and are expecting some delays around the PHL area due to the airport being closed. Anyone have info about the fire? It looks like it was a UPS DC-8.

Propnose said:
Anybody have info about this? We are heading up to TEB this morning, and are expecting some delays around the PHL area due to the airport being closed. Anyone have info about the fire? It looks like it was a UPS DC-8.

Airport Reopens After Cargo Plane Fire

Long Delays Expected Wednesday Morning After Overnight Shutdown

PHILADELPHIA With smoke in the hold, the crew of a UPS cargo plane declared an emergency and the plane was met by fire and rescue crews as it landed at Philadelphia International Airport early Wednesday.

The pilot and two crew members exited the plane safely as firefighters battled the blaze in the hold.

Firefighters said the fire was under control shortly after 4 a.m. though the plane continued to smolder.

The plane, UPS Flight 1307 from Atlanta to Philadelphia, landed shortly after midnight and the airport canceled flight operations during the night, consisting mostly of cargo flights, airport spokesman Mark Pesce said.

Pesce said the airport reopened at 6 a.m., but people planning to travel on or meet flights to check the status of the flights on www.phl.org Website.

Holy crap...

After a good nights rest, someone ought to buy them a bottle of the good stuff and some new underwear.

Nice job. I am glad they all got out O.K.

I am glad that the crew is ok.

Just hearing of fire on an airplane is scary.

Nice job guys.

:beer:

I was #3 behind them, as it turns out they were enroute from ATL to PHL. And got the smoke alarm/warning about 5nm south of the field. They reported it to approach and were cleared to land. By the time they got onto final you could tell they were pretty stressed, so obviously it wasn't just a false indication. The crew did a great job getting down and out of the a/c. And lets hand it to them they landed 27R and had it stopped before taxi Lima. For those of you that don't fly out of PHL thats got to be 3500 or less. Pretty darn good for a DC-8. Good job guy's and I am glad your ok.

Gumby said:
The pilot and two crew members exited the plane safely as firefighters battled the blaze in the hold.

It was probably caused by the pilot letting one of the other crewmembers fly the plane.

Great Job Brown Tails !!!

Good thing everyone is OK.

320AV8R

Way to go, guys!

As a pilot of UPS, I'm relieved to find out that the crew is ok. It is going to be interesting to find out what happened. As a cargo pilot, and I'm sure all of you will agree, one of the biggest threats that face us is undeclared cargo. If we find out that it was a package problem, it'll be interesting to see how UPS spins this.

KUDOS to the crew for getting that a/c on the ground and stopped and evacuated!

Latest resources

Back