• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cargo 360 just bought Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Neff holds 15% Oak 85%. Pilot groups need to come together and bring SA's scale to Cargo360's first year pay scale and hopefully adopt their management's culture of making a pilot an asset rather than a liability. Cargo360's quality of life is excellent due to excellent scheduling and trust in top notch mangement. If Oak Hill has any sense they will bring these leaders to SA (Cargo360 management) to make this transition seamless and profitable.

Sounds like a plan. This merger is happening whether we like it or not. I know if the Cargo 360 boys have to assume our schedule they will not be happy. What is the pay scale over there.

A couple things come to mind.

First off, neither list IMO is going to take a hit, as the company has already indicated that it will be a senority merger based on hire date. SAI already has Captain Qual's F/O's flying left seat ahead of more senior, yet less experienced F/O's, so it's a safe assumption the any C360 Captains will remain in the left seat

Second, they have also indicated that an additional Classic, and the planned 2 400BCF's will still be brought on, with plans to add the 777 freighters later on. A merger that adds growth is always better than one that downsizes

The fact that they have indicated a commitment to add newer aircraft to the fleet indicates where things may be headed for the new company. As SAI's 747-200's have provided low cost, yet are not as reliable, nor have the range that newer airframes would deliver. In an ACMI operation, everything is driven by the Customer's demands, and these changes IMO are a reflection of that.

Another point is that Mr. Neff didn't need outside investors to build SAI to 10 aircraft, but to take things to the "next level" with SAI's growth , he obviously thought that partnering with someone else would enable that to occur. So logically, he would not have done this unless he was looking to, and will grow the company into newer airframes.

With the opening up of the cargo market between the US and Korea + China, SAI is now well positioned to take advantage of some prime opportunities in these markets.

should be interesting...

Last edited:
I agree dakota, things could get better with this merger. I just hope we can work on our scheduling issues and make our QOL much better. Any idea when the groups are to be merged?

Well, I would assume that it is fairly quick, considering that their is only one union represented employee group (SAI pilots), The HQ will remain in CT. (so same Feds used), and the operations are so much alike.

The snags might include differences training for those not familiar with the GE or Pratt engines, but it will probably mirror like the requirements for differences training on the many navigational setups SAI uses.

I have heard C360 has Second Officers, some of which are Korean, instead of PFE', so that will be something different to deal with too.

Other than that, I cannot see many real obstacles to the combination. Nor a reason to leave the two operations separate, like the owners of Atlas and Polar felt they had.

Honestly, IMO I do not see many changes, except some new faces. Once the new types come online, it will be interesting to see if they utilize IRO's in our operation.

Well, I would assume that it is fairly quick, considering that their is only one union represented employee group (SAI pilots), The HQ will remain in CT. (so same Feds used), and the operations are so much alike.

The snags might include differences training for those not familiar with the GE or Pratt engines, but it will probably mirror like the requirements for differences training on the many navigational setups SAI uses.

I have heard C360 has Second Officers, some of which are Korean, instead of PFE', so that will be something different to deal with too.

Other than that, I cannot see many real obstacles to the combination. Nor a reason to leave the two operations separate, like the owners of Atlas and Polar felt they had.

Honestly, IMO I do not see many changes, except some new faces. Once the new types come online, it will be interesting to see if they utilize IRO's in our operation.

I would think that they would have to. The rules change a bit with only 2 pilots. You are right about the operations being the same. We already do the same routes. It might be a good chance for the Cargo 360 boys to go somewhere other then Incheon. Hope this goes smooth. Good luck.

Rumors says C-360 has -400s on order...?

If so, will the senior SA guys be flying those if D.O.H. kicks in?

Or would there be a fence around those and/or premium flying from either side?

Having just been through an acquisition, called merger by the other side, I can see some clouds on the horizon...:eek:

That being said, I wish everybody good luck, I have good friends in both camps.

Rumors says C-360 has -400s on order...?

If so, will the senior SA guys be flying those if D.O.H. kicks in?

Or would there be a fence around those and/or premium flying from either side?

Having just been through an acquisition, called merger by the other side, I can see some clouds on the horizon...:eek:

That being said, I wish everybody good luck, I have good friends in both camps.
Being as C360 1. Has no pilot union. and 2. Those future aircraft are not even on the property... There is nothing to "fence" off. Any and all pilots from the merged list should have an opportunity to bid into those future aircraft.

But it is not a rumor, the press release stated that the new company, Southern Air Holdings would be bringing on another 200, and then 2 400/BCF's in 08. It also stated their desire to accept, and fly the B777 freighters on firm order.

Hope it works out for both parties... BTW differences training at Southern Air is called reading the manual. If you don't expect much at Southern Air you may be pleasantly surprised once in a while.

Oak hill purchased the 777's about four months ago. The 400's have been in Cargo 360's hands for over six months. Is SAI's "union" recognized by the US government or is it a gentlemen's agreement with Neff and company? Cargo 360 utilization and on time performance during it's short life has been about 400 plus hours per month per airframe and 97% on time, what is SAI's? Having seen your rotations and trips your schedules are ineffiencent with a lot of sitting. If you had a national union maybe that would change? Have you guys thought of that? It is not hard and is the law. If history repeats itself Neff will be moved up to the COB of the airline and Oakhill will replace him, it only took oakhill eight months to do this with H. David Greenberg. He owned 15% of Cargo 360 funny how that number is being repeated with Neff. With Oakhill owning both companies there are two pilot groups and even thought the company is being called SAI holdings it just as well could have been call southern 180. The operating certificate is another matter Cargo 360 was certified under the new rules ATOS (SIC) the combining of certificates maybe harder than Oakhill understands. Best of luck and hold on for a ride.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back