Career-No

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

adam_jorgensen

Hi guys. Been a while since I posted here. Some might remember my posts of asking all those questions regarding things like degree and life style of a pilot. Over the last year or so, I have gone over lots and have come to a final decision that I hope I do not regret.

The flying industry is not for me. I have decided that I would not enjoy the life style for a couple of reasons and feel free to disagree with me.

One I don't like being away from home a lot and having to work odd hours. Now I know this can happen in just about any job you have (even for what I want to get into) but it just seems because this industry is 24/7/365, I just don't have that commitment.

Two, weather delays bother me enough right now even when I'm at home let alone being stuck at some FBO or airport wondering if your going up or not. Its just something I can't put up with. Everytime I get a weather delay here, I don't go flying for like a month after that. It seems that the weather would always crap out on the day I would go up. If you want to know what the weather will be like in 2 weeks, just look at my flight schedual and I'm sure it will be bad.

Three, the industry just seems to unstable/negative. Things don't look or seem like they will pick up. You have guys (I have talked to a few) that are flying say an A320 that are being downgraded to an RJ at a pay cut as well. Obviously because I'm more concerned with the money then the flying, that is the first sign I should not be getting into this.

Four, I just don't have the commitment and never really did. Its too much work/money to build up all those hours and I am going at an incredibly slow time building rate (30 hrs a year)

Five, regarding the whole degree thing, it seems silly to go for a degree for just a backup or helping you get a job that has nothing to do with that degree. I figure, I might as well use that degree I'm getting. Might as well do something while I'm doing nothing.

So there you have it. I have found another interest anyways that I'm more committed to. I have always had a keen passion for the weather and decided to pursue that (eventually getting a masters in meteorology) that's enough work as it is and is expensive enough. Its one career or the other you have to focus on. You can only succeed in one. This decision has been a battle for years and I think I finally feel at peace with my future career. I will still fly and still intend to finish my commercials but it will be personal enjoyment only. Maybe that will make me enjoy it more knowing I don't have to treat it so seriously. I don't want to care only about making money for a career, but I do not come from a rich family and had to live with the frustrations of not having money so it is something I do not want when I'm older. I want to be well off at least. It just seems like if your not flying the heavy metal, your pay is crap. Anyways, advice or comments is welcome to this decision.

Good luck adam. It's a tough decision to make, but at least you're being honest with yourself now instead of finding out you've made a mistake after investing a lot of time and energy into being a career pilot.

Go make a lot of money, buy a plane, and have fun!

adam_jorgensen said:
So there you have it. I have found another interest anyways that I'm more committed to. I have always had a keen passion for the weather and decided to pursue that (eventually getting a masters in meteorology)

Well, there you go. Good luck to you. The world needs weather guys too.

bigD said:
Go make a lot of money, buy a plane, and have fun!

That'd be seriously cool!

-Goose

adam_jorgensen said:
Hi guys. Been a while since I posted here. Some might remember my posts of asking all those questions regarding things like degree and life style of a pilot. Over the last year or so, I have gone over lots and have come to a final decision that I hope I do not regret.

The flying industry is not for me. I have decided that I would not enjoy the life style for a couple of reasons and feel free to disagree with me.

One I don't like being away from home a lot and having to work odd hours. Now I know this can happen in just about any job you have (even for what I want to get into) but it just seems because this industry is 24/7/365, I just don't have that commitment.

Two, weather delays bother me enough right now even when I'm at home let alone being stuck at some FBO or airport wondering if your going up or not. Its just something I can't put up with. Everytime I get a weather delay here, I don't go flying for like a month after that. It seems that the weather would always crap out on the day I would go up. If you want to know what the weather will be like in 2 weeks, just look at my flight schedual and I'm sure it will be bad.

Three, the industry just seems to unstable/negative. Things don't look or seem like they will pick up. You have guys (I have talked to a few) that are flying say an A320 that are being downgraded to an RJ at a pay cut as well. Obviously because I'm more concerned with the money then the flying, that is the first sign I should not be getting into this.

Four, I just don't have the commitment and never really did. Its too much work/money to build up all those hours and I am going at an incredibly slow time building rate (30 hrs a year)

Five, regarding the whole degree thing, it seems silly to go for a degree for just a backup or helping you get a job that has nothing to do with that degree. I figure, I might as well use that degree I'm getting. Might as well do something while I'm doing nothing.

So there you have it. I have found another interest anyways that I'm more committed to. I have always had a keen passion for the weather and decided to pursue that (eventually getting a masters in meteorology) that's enough work as it is and is expensive enough. Its one career or the other you have to focus on. You can only succeed in one. This decision has been a battle for years and I think I finally feel at peace with my future career. I will still fly and still intend to finish my commercials but it will be personal enjoyment only. Maybe that will make me enjoy it more knowing I don't have to treat it so seriously. I don't want to care only about making money for a career, but I do not come from a rich family and had to live with the frustrations of not having money so it is something I do not want when I'm older. I want to be well off at least. It just seems like if your not flying the heavy metal, your pay is crap. Anyways, advice or comments is welcome to this decision.

Meteorology, huh? Good luck. I'm a meteorologist. After my 4 year degree decided to pursue an aviation career. 3 airlines and a few years later I'm finally doing O.K., but it has been a tough ride. I still do meteorology, but only part-time.

Meteorology is extremely rewarding, but as with everything else it can have drawbacks.

What school are you going to? Feel free to PM me.

You are one intelligent guy who thinks things through and makes the right decisions. (you have most people beat in the planning category it sounds like)
Good luck with your career, I have heard of lots of pilots very happy with their decision to go another route and save aviation as an avocation.

Good luck as well! Sounds like you're being real honest with yourself, and you've most likely made the right decision!

Being a professional pilot is a whole different breed of animal, and it's better you realized that now, rather then after spending a small mortgage and regretting it later!

Good luck on the meteorgoly field... you know actually, you should get your training and become one of those Flight Watch guys we talk to enroute! That'd combine your thing for aviation AND meteorolgy!

"Dont like to be gone from home and dont like to work odd hours"....

good decision Adam.

adam_jorgensen said:

If you want to be rich, publish a book on how you "quit aviation." There is a lot of books on how to quit cigarettes, over-eating, pot smoking, crack, heroin, etc., but there are none on how to quit aviation.

I would buy it.

Good luck with meteorology, and congratulations on having the wherewithall to decide now before you invested your life into this industry.

I applaud your research before leaping into aviation. I wish somebody made me do that kind of REALISTIC thinking before I got into it. You have made the right decision. Especially if you are concerned about money and being at home.

Latest resources

Back