Career-No

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
adam_jorgensen said:
No I should update that. I have around 140 hrs. It took me 3 years to build that much time. Somebody who is serious about it should not be taking that long.

Just for the record, I started flying when I was 17 and got my private when I was 18. I am now 28 and will be 29 in about two weeks. I now have (just a sec... let me open up Logbook Pro...) 574.0 hours to my name. About half of that time was accumulated in the last 12 months, and 86 hours of the total is glider time.

What happened in the time between 18 and 28? It's a long story, but suffice to say, I have averaged about 43 hours per year, which close to what you have done. As 29 year old, I am considered a grandpa of the kid world, but as an adult, I'm just a puppy. Sure, I'm older than your typical CFI, but I'm still pretty confident that I can make a flying career work, be it regionals or something else (I'd really like a corporate job, to be honest.)

Just food for thought...

Edit: I get nervous sometimes too. I just take it as a sign that I haven't mentally prepared myself enough to fly. How do I overcome it? I prepare myself! I spend a little extra time to get a clear picture of what needs to happen. Once I get that taken care of, I'm all set.

Edit Part Deux: I really am happy as a CFI. I find it challenging and fulfilling. And I would remain an instructor, but I have this pesky desire to buy a house, have a family, and take on other types of challenges in flying. I think I'll always keep my CFIs current, and hopefully have at least one student for the rest of my life. Maybe by the end I'll actually have something good to pass on! My point? Flying is truly enjoyable if you do it right.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back