Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The road to success

bjsanders said:
As far as being an aviation lawyer and working for an insurance company, I think it is something to look into.
As a plaintiffs' and claimants' paralegal, I see most insurance defense attorneys as individuals with horns on their heads whose sole purpose is to deny fair treatment by insurance companies. I realize their clients are not real people but are faceless institutional clients. Take it from someone who knows, insurance companies can be truly rotten to people. If you really want to do something for people, come on to our side of the street, or . . . .
My wife's father is an estate & trusts lawyer. . . .
Estates. trusts, conservatorships, guardianships and probate were my first practice area. I really liked probate and estate planning. Some parts of it, such as will contests, are fascinating - but maybe that's me.
He is a great person, makes great money, and I think he really enjoys his life, but from first hand experience I know he works loooong hours. He often gets home at 8:30, and sometimes much later. Even though he makes A LOT of money, after realizing how much he works, I lost my desire to be a lawyer.
What time does he go in to work? Maybe he needs to hire an associate(s) and/or a paralegal(s). Good paralegals can draw up wills, trusts and powers of attorney, prepare estate tax returns, and do plenty of other work.
I would like to hear from people that have made it in aviation and can elaborate on their sucess in the industry and how they think a wannabe can find sucess in his/her future.
Success can be found in aviation on many levels. But, as with other vocations, it takes luck, persistence, good timing, and hard work and long hours to achieve it. Don't let your flight school salespeople con you into believing otherwise.

No matter what vocation your choose, expect to work long and hard hours and to make sacrifices. There is no easy road to success. As the expression goes, "All things cometh to he who waiteth - while he worketh like hell while he waiteth."

Last edited:
Nice office

You will not find an office you like more than a cockpit no matter how much $ you make. Every time you see an airplane fly over you will regret it.

When you get called out for your second transatlantic trip in a row with minimum crew rest, just had your pay cut by 25%, know that they're coming after your pension next, and are facing a furlough, you'll rather sit in the airport bathroom than in that cockpit. Like's been said before . . . Aviation is a great hobby and lousy job.

I know plenty of Dentists that are Pilots for fun.

Don't know any Pilots that are Dentists for fun.

My neighbor is a dentist (32 years old), opening his own practice,
doesn't have to worry about losing his medical, furloughs,
company going under, being on the road, etc.

He does work 5 days a week and he loves it.
People paying lots of money for cosmetic dentistry.

Terrorism or "low-cost, start-up" dentists don't
have an impact on his business.

food for thought

I would like to hear from people that have made it in aviation and can elaborate on their sucess in the industry and how they think a wannabe can find sucess in his/her future.

Spent the late eighties as an aeronautical engineer in my own little cubicle- hating it.
Spent the early nineties as a law student and clerk. REALLY hated it.
Started flying corporate, 3 years free-lance, making about $2000/ a month.
Flew commuters for 4 years.
Flew ACMI internationally for 3 years.
Got on with FDX. Been here 2 years, on the panel of the 727, going to the panel of the DC-10 in August. Finally paid off the credit card and family debt I've been dragging around since the first Bush administration.

This career ain't for the squeamish. You gotta have a spouse that makes serious money (at least for a while) and is very understanding.

But now I work essentially week on, week off. My wife stays home with the kids. I miss a few holidays and birthdays, but not all of them - and Santa can come see your kids on the 22nd of December if he has to. What's important is I get 13-15 days a month at home. Not before 8 am and after 7 pm, but all day.

Come on, man - dentists don't get to see the sun set behind Kilamanjaro, or fly up the spine of the Andes on a crystal-clear day, or know the best bars in the top ten cities in the globe. Go sit beside a dentist for one full day. You'll be back at the airport the next morning. You want to stare down the gullets of an average slice of the american population? They ain't all supermodels! (that would be cool, though....)

And as for respect - you get it when you demand it. I used to fly a 182 hauling jumpers when I was just getting started, but I acted and operated like I was a 747 captain. First operator didn't like it, so I found a better one. Respect yourself and your profession, and demand it from others, or pull the handles.

"I would like to hear from people that have made it in aviation and can elaborate on their sucess in the industry and how they think a wannabe can find sucess in his/ her future."

Start young, work hard, only get married if she's able to pull her own weight and is the independent sort. Get a four year degree for the best jobs. Don't be tied down to a certain part of the country and don't limit yourself too much by only being willing to work for a few companies....use the shotgun approach. Don't expect shortcuts to work. Pray a lot, think good thoughts, and hope for a lot of luck because, in the end, it's a huge factor. Not sure "luck" is the right word because we can make our own luck through our actions. I'm just saying there is a lot of stuff that we can't control involved in our career progressions.

Career building

de727ups said:
Start young, work hard, only get married if she's able to pull her own weight and is the independent sort. Get a four year degree for the best jobs. Don't be tied down to a certain part of the country and don't limit yourself too much by only being willing to work for a few companies....use the shotgun approach. Don't expect shortcuts to work. Pray a lot, think good thoughts, and hope for a lot of luck because, in the end, it's a huge factor. Not sure "luck" is the right word because we can make our own luck through our actions. I'm just saying there is a lot of stuff that we can't control involved in our career progressions.
I would emphasisze "start young." Take it from someone who knows.

I would also add: Follow traditional paths of career building, i.e., build your experience through legitimate employment. Do not attempt end-runs around the system; you will regret it in the end. Do not succumb to sales pitches that promise rapid advancement to airline cockpits. These schemes are conjobs and/or will earn your peers' disdain.

Good luck with whichever choice you make, drilling holes in teeth or boring holes in the sky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back