• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career dilemma- need opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is your wife's opinion? As you should already know, pilots have a high divorce rate, and staying in aviation full-time could mean that you wouldn't have to worry about not having holidays off, since you might not have anyone to spend them with....

If you want a career where you'll be respected and will respect yourself, do not be a commerical pilot.

If you want a job that will likely have nothing more than a 401k retirement, a flat or decreasing pay scale, periods of unemployment, bad labor relations, little to no repect, and young pilots willing to fly for practically nothing to get your job, then be a commerical pilot. The airline pilot job that you probably have in your mind is very rapidly going away . . . . . . permanently. It's about the same as driving city bus . . . . Oh, but actually driving a city bus in NY probably makes you more money and a lot better benefits than commanding an RJ based in NY.

Thanks again for the replies. I do have a wife, and I intend to keep her! I also have a degree already in poli sci. Bobbysamd made the commented that I sounded like I was trying to talk myself out of an aviation career. This is probibly true, but I'm only because I am so torn over what to do. I just got back from a great lesson; I had so much fun, I'm still grinning ear-to-ear. I could go to law school, but then I would have to be a lawyer. I don't want to work long grueling hours in an office for the rest of my days.

My buddy is a Dentist who had his school paid for by an Indian tribe in OK in exchange for 5 years of commitment. He paid dearly of course, those folks made the English smile look good, ha, ha. He is now in private practice working 60+ hours and paying out the ying-yang in malpractice insurance. And, he is not making a killing. Everything is not as it appears. Never base a career decision on reported earnings, et cetera.
Take a day to yourself and go find a nice place to reflect. Take a yellow pad and write down your life goals, career, family, expectations. You might see a pattern. When I tried this I quickly realized that an office job was a killer. I needed to be out and in motion, traveling. If I was not flying I would probably drive a truck out on the highway (with the wife and our dog). The point of the exercise is to let a stream of thoughts flow on to paper with little distraction and then by looking back at your writing discern a pattern.
And, yes flying can feel like a job when scheduling is calling but most days it is a blast!! All the best, cheers, Wil

plan

"Your heart is revealed and your character forged when life does not turn out the way you planned."

It is in the act of facing the storm that you discover what lies inside you and you decide what lies before you."

John Ortburg

Law school

TRLpilot said:
if money is your main motivator then maybe you should consider law school.
bjsanders said:
I could go to law school, but then I would have to be a lawyer. I don't want to work long grueling hours in an office for the rest of my days.
Naaaah, you don't want to go to law school - unless - you consider aviation law.

Aviation law can take a number of forms. Of course, we tend to think of it as practitioners who can call off the FAA dogs and protect our certificates. I would have liked to work for such an attorney, but there just aren't many of them and most are sole practitioners who don't need much help. But aviation law can also include certain plaintiffs' and insurance defense practices. (I regard the latter as the dark side of the street.) If you choose it, you would have plenty of opportunities to work in aviation matters, though it would turn primarily on tort and litigation. I interned with an insurance defense attorney who was a pilot. He eventually bought a King Air and drove it everywhere.

Make no mistake about it, lawyers and their staff work hard hours under a great deal of stress. Law earns me money and feeds and clothes me and mine, but flying is still far more fun. Of course, building and maintaining a flying career is challenging becauses of the forces you face, and most flying jobs don't pay well. Not to mention the instability.

Once more, there are plenty of poisons from which to pick. Pick yours wisely.

How to be home every day

Become a freight dog. You will be home every day,you will get 4 day weekends, you will make more initially, you can upgrade to a lear withing a year. Yes you will top out at $75,000 instead of $115,000 if you stay with a company like Airnet instead of staying with a regional. QOL is much better if you ask me. Majors do hire freight dogs as well. In the last month we had 2 lear captains go to SWA. Not every freight dog flies at night either, most but not all. Oh ya you can also fly more aggressively, and boxes wont complain. Just something to think about. Great Cornholio dont lie you fly ch20's for fun.

Go to Pharmacy School

Hey, just my opinion for what it's worth. Look into pharmacy school. Pharmacists make bank where I live. Good money in that gig. No funky mouths to deal with either.

To me, (just my opinion, don't kill me for saying this) commercial aviation is now officially overrated. The events of 9/11 have changed this industry drastically. It's not the great job it used to be in my opinion. I'm just a dispatcher but I had intentions of moving onto a major airline after a few years of experience with the regional hole I'm at now. That doesn't happen anymore. I wouldn't dare take a job at a major these days. Getting furloughed isn't my goal at this point. Airline business is too volatile now.

Sleep at home every night with your wife and be a pharmacist or a doctor or a dentist. Fly on the weekends.

Good luck.

Dentistry appeals to me more than pharmacy because I could own my own business as a dentist. As far as being an aviation lawyer and working for an insurance company, I think it is something to look into. But I am hesitant to go into law. My wife's father is an estate & trusts lawyer. He is a great person, makes great money, and I think he really enjoys his life, but from first hand experience I know he works loooong hours. He often gets home at 8:30, and sometimes much later. Even though he makes A LOT of money, after realizing how much he works, I lost my desire to be a lawyer.

Also, I realize that i set the tone for a negtive thread about being in an aviation career. I apologize for this. I would like to hear from people that have made it in aviation and can elaborate on their sucess in the industry and how they think a wannabe can find sucess in his/her future.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back