Career Decision (survey pilot or ????)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What does G200 know about YIP?

On the rise disreguard G200. Most pilots in their mid-30's at KYIP own their own homes, make around $70-$80K and are well above the proverty level and are not on food stamps. Plus the call out is 25 minutes, and only about 1 out of 10 trips do you get a short notice launch. Plus no one is ever junior manned, or forced to change their days off to meet the needs of the company. G200 does not know much about the YIP life style.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
On the rise disreguard G200. Most pilots in their mid-30's at KYIP own their own homes, make around $70-$80K and are well above the proverty level and are not on food stamps. Plus the call out is 25 minutes, and only about 1 out of 10 trips do you get a short notice launch. Plus no one is ever junior manned, or forced to change their days off to meet the needs of the company. G200 does not know much about the YIP life style.

Sorry, 25min callout, not 12min.

Apology accepted,

Average Pay

Gulfstream 200 said:
Where do you live pal?

teachers around me START at 55K minimum. Thats for working part time (face it, 7am-130pm, summers off is part time) and even at 55K what are you doing? you arent buying a house and you arent raising a family...and dont tell me about living in Kansas or something - lets talk where the jobs are...nurses? how much do you think and RN makes today? most are easy 6 figures. Where do you live?

Average Teacher salary is $46113 with the bottom 25% making less than $37K and the top 25% making more than $54K.

The Average Nurse salary $57275 with 25% making less than $52K and 25 % making more than $62K. Now there are nurses that make more but they are either nurse practitioners or Nurse anesthesiologists. Definately not MOST!

I do not know where you are getting your facts but I suspect you are pulling them out of your a$$. The internet is a fantastic tool.

Oh and my brother is a teacher, owns a house and has a family. He is very happy.

ss

Last edited:
Secret Squirrel said:
Average Teacher salary is $46113 with the bottom 25% making less than $37K and the top 25% making more than $54K.

The Average Nurse salary $57275 with 25% making less than $52K and 25 % making more than $62K. Now there are nurses that make more but they are either nurse practitioners or Nurse anesthesiologists. Definately not MOST!

I do not know where you are getting your facts but I suspect you are pulling them out of your a$$. The internet is a fantastic tool.

Oh and my brother is a teacher, owns a house and has a family. He is very happy.

ss

My mother has been a nurse for 34 years. She has been in a critical care unit at the same hospital for the last 25. I ran your average nurse salary by her and she said no. She makes about 55-60K as one of the top paid because of her years and she is an "Nurse Instructor" (kind of equiv to a check airman/IOE instructor). She says most nurses with less than 15 years are in the 30 to 40K range if they work their butt off.

I have 4 cousins that are teachers in one of the highest paid districts in PA which are some of the best paid in the country. Their exp ranges from 12 years to first year. Of course I don't have their exact number on pay but I don't think the oldest makes much more than the low 40's and the others make less than my 36K.

My sister is a teacher in the Detroit area, she makes $72K. 30 years masters plus

Yah well my friend started a business when he was 19 and now at 27 pulls in nearly 350K a year.
My sister is in pharmacutical sales and started at 60K a year with a free car.
One of my friends is an engineer and his starting salary is 55K.
Another friend pulls in a little over 60 a year tax free and works M-TH 12-7.

Its fairly disheartening to look to your future and see yourself working two jobs for the next couple of years.

Photoflight said:
Yah well my friend started a business when he was 19 and now at 27 pulls in nearly 350K a year.
My sister is in pharmacutical sales and started at 60K a year with a free car.
One of my friends is an engineer and his starting salary is 55K.
Another friend pulls in a little over 60 a year tax free and works M-TH 12-7.

Its fairly disheartening to look to your future and see yourself working two jobs for the next couple of years.

I understand the frustration. Pilots have an important job with a huge responsibility for lives and assets. We should make good money at all levels of the profession. Unfortunately, we don't. Personally I'd be miserable driving around in my "free" car selling pills, sitting in an engineering cubicle, or doing whatever the M-F 12-7 guy (late night TV ad thing?) does because I could care less about that stuff. We're lucky to be having this conversation though. In other areas of the world we'd be talking about how hard it is to find enough mud and grass for our huts or digging up some worm free rice to survive another year. We have a lot to be thankful for.

My Father is an Orthopedic Surgeon: 800-600K a year, New Jersey
My Mother is a Corp Lawyer: 80-90K a year, New Jersey

Why are we listing loved ones pay?

Last edited:
WhiteCloud said:
I understand the frustration. Pilots have an important job with a huge responsibility for lives and assets. We should make good money at all levels of the profession. Unfortunately, we don't. Personally I'd be miserable driving around in my "free" car selling pills, sitting in an engineering cubicle, or doing whatever the M-F 12-7 guy (late night TV ad thing?) does because I could care less about that stuff.

Actually its noon to 7 p.m.

I'd agree with you on most points. With all those jobs...the actual job part sucks but the pay is good. With flying...it seems to be the opposite. I love the work but hate the business.

Latest resources

Back