• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Capt Prater: Here is your sign!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They "planned" to have their pension. They didn't "plan" to have their pension taken away with nothing to replace it.

Hoover, tell that to Enron employees who "planned" for their Enron stock to split a number of times. Instead we all saw what happened.

A-plan was a promise! It was nothing more than company promising to fund a pension plan. When the managements ceased funding it, we ALL got hosed. Under federal rules, it became too cost prohibitive to bring the pensions back up to their required levels hence the bankruptcies. The previous generation could have converted DB plans to DC plans, instead they chose the risks associated with DB plans. They gambled and they lost.

Now they want to stay and work til 65 at the detriment of every FO and junior captain out there, and ALPA National is okay with that.

Well, this FO will no longer give a rusty penny to ALPA-PAC. I feel bad enough already paying $150/mo in dues. I'd rather pay $200/mo for APA at my same pay. At least I know they're doing something aside from surrendering... but then again, Prater sounds French...

...just hope this process gets dragged out as long as possible.

Ditto. Hopefully this screw job takes at least a couple years.

If it wasn't a a safety issue then why must one of the pilots be under 60???

Absolutely!! That's what makes this such a joke.

Now they want to stay and work til 65 at the detriment of every FO and junior captain out there, and ALPA National is okay with that.

On this issue, ALPA National is not OK with it. They know how the membership feels about this. But they also know that this rule is going to change.

You can't have American citizens flying on foreign carriers, in American airspace, in jets commanded by pilots over age 60, with the approval of the American government, and not expect this change. To stop this from happening, you've also got to stop our (The U.S.) participation in the ICAO, and the alloowing of ICAO carriers to fly in our airspace with Pilots over age 60.

Do you honestly think that Capt. Prater hasn't even discussed this with the FAA Administrator? He has and knows where the Administrator stands on this issue. Would you rather he come in and pound on her desk? All that does is alienate him from the Washington decision makers. If ALPA can't stop this from happening ( like Deregulation) then the best thing is for them to try to have a voice in the implementation of these new rules ( unlike Deregulation).

Every day in our (U.S.) airspace we get a living example of how safe it is for an over age 60 pilot to be in command of a passenger carrying aircraft.

Something bad....I mean, real bad, would have to happen for the Administrator to change her stance on the repeal of the age 60 rule.

...who wants to go first....?

Tejas

On this issue, ALPA National is not OK with it. They know how the membership feels about this. But they also know that this rule is going to change.

You can't have American citizens flying on foreign carriers, in American airspace, in jets commanded by pilots over age 60, with the approval of the American government, and not expect this change. To stop this from happening, you've also got to stop our (The U.S.) participation in the ICAO, and the alloowing of ICAO carriers to fly in our airspace with Pilots over age 60.

Do you honestly think that Capt. Prater hasn't even discussed this with the FAA Administrator? He has and knows where the Administrator stands on this issue. Would you rather he come in and pound on her desk? All that does is alienate him from the Washington decision makers. If ALPA can't stop this from happening ( like Deregulation) then the best thing is for them to try to have a voice in the implementation of these new rules ( unlike Deregulation).

Every day in our (U.S.) airspace we get a living example of how safe it is for an over age 60 pilot to be in command of a passenger carrying aircraft.

Something bad....I mean, real bad, would have to happen for the Administrator to change her stance on the repeal of the age 60 rule.

...who wants to go first....?

Tejas

Then Prater should address what he can control -- contracts. Just tell Blakey that, until the membership says otherwise and an equivalent level of safety is proven, the official ALPA national stance will be to disapprove contracts that don't set a retirement age of 60.

PIPE

I will get used to the flying age changing to ICAO rules as long as we get their REST REQUIREMENTS TOO..........

I find it simple. All these guys that knew the rules when the joined the industry that balk this is age discrimination, nothing more, simply state, if you are hired post the age change to 65, you get to stay to 65. Otherwise you are gone. They will find this reprehensible, because they don't get to benefit like they did when the Capt they were flying with that turned age 60 the next day retired making a new spot for them. Saying in the back of their mind, "see-ya old geezer, I will be a captain that much sooner." The only people that benefit from this rule change are the guys that are captains now, period. They say that we will be captains until we are 65 too, however it will be 5 year later at their expense. If they want to reapply after they retire and start over again let them if it is only really about the flying, but I bet you would find none of them return. And too all you ex-military guys out there, I don't know of a single military guy over the age of 60. I don't seeing you cry foul there. Give me a break, it is really about you and your squandered wages.

out

/QUOTE]

Maybe we should let americans smoke pot like the Europeans do too, just because it is legal there in Amsterdam.

AN FO with a 6 digit income. Life's rough isn't it? C'mon folks lets get some perspective here.

You simply Cannot be serious.

How deep in the sand could your ********************ing head be to not realize that the majority of us who don't happen to work for FedEx or Southwest won't see six figures unless we UPGRADE.

Retards like you reaped the benefits of those who had the dignity to retire with class when their number came up. Now you want to force the guys who had the unfortunate luck to be born after you to suck up another five years at the bottom so you can suck five more years (half a million plus) at the top of the scale?

You and your kind can sugar coat your position all day long. You can play it up in your own mind that your are some sort of Robin Hood. Say it over and over enough and you may actually belive it.

The thing is, the Robin Hood angle doesn't fly. You're not stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. You are stealing from your fellow pilots (who are far from rich), and giving to yourself.

You might talk a good game to yourself, but deep down inside, you know you are notihng more than a thief.

We already have Americans over 60 flying around in our airspace.

Just have to do it for a part 91 carrier.

See how easy that is?

FJ

Well, this FO will no longer give a rusty penny to ALPA-PAC.

So you're willing to allow foreign control, foreign ownership, cabatoge, bankruptcy reform, etc... to go unaddressed simply because you disagree with how Captain Prater has handled a single issue? Very short-sighted.

Latest resources

Back