Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Accomplices

..management steals your pension...

Yes, management was the burglar, but ALPA drove the getaway car. At Delta, they agreed "not to oppose" the pension termination, and silenced protests from retirees by banning them from all ALPA forums, (posting OR EVEN READING)! :angryfire

Huck:

I wouldn't worry about me.....I know I am not worried about you. After all, most Captains (myself included) wish they made as much as you.

Prater talks a good story, but the train has left the station.

A350

To me, this is fairly simple. The FAA is looking at changing the rule. ALPA has a choice, do we oppose the change; do we take no position and hope to be able to jump on the bandwagon after the music starts; or do we get on early in hopes of shaping the regs to fit our needs as best we can?

If we oppose, we take the chance of being left out of the process that will inevitably occur as the rules are being "massaged" by all of the other alphabet groups - But we just might be able to keep 60 as the age.

If we take no position we also chance being being left out and we also will most likely be allowing the rule to go away.

If we get on board early, we just might be able to "massage" the rules in our favor.

I don't envy the position in which National finds itself. The world is changing and they aren't in charge of the change. National will have a significant number of detractors, no matter which way they choose to proceed.

I have met Captain Prater, and I do believe that he is sincere in his desire to restore the profession. I don't have the answers, and I doubt that anyone has a solution that pleases everyone, but I do trust his intentions and I will wait until more facts are out before I make my decision.

Please feel free to PM. I do expect to have an influence on the direction taken by National on this subject.

Again, I have NOT made up my mind. Convince me of the best way to go. I am looking for ideas.

I trust his intentions as well, as he has clearly demonstrated already. The problem is that his intentions are to protect his interests instead of those of the majority of ALPA members.

Funny that the head of APA doesn't seem worried about being left out of the process, he is fighting hard to ensure that his union's views are not left out of the process.

Forming a blue ribbon panel to manage the impact of the change is a far cry from trying to oppose the change in accordance with the views of the majority.

FJ

Over age 60 flying is coming to America. Get used to it.

Truthfully....Over age 60 in airline aircraft is already in America. It just isn't flown by American pilots...yet. It is however being flown by foreign pilots, carrying american citizens, in American airspace, approved by our American government.

Tejas

It is just age discrimination plain and simple.

Guess what, so is 65.

Yes, management was the burglar, but ALPA drove the getaway car. At Delta, they agreed "not to oppose" the pension termination, and silenced protests from retirees by banning them from all ALPA forums, (posting OR EVEN READING)! :angryfire

I notice that you didn't list ME as responsible for your pension disappearing. So please explain why it is ME you want to steal from to replace it? This is going to personally cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars and years of my life that I don't want to work.

Last edited:
I trust his intentions as well, as he has clearly demonstrated already. The problem is that his intentions are to protect his interests instead of those of the majority of ALPA members.

Funny that the head of APA doesn't seem worried about being left out of the process, he is fighting hard to ensure that his union's views are not left out of the process.

Forming a blue ribbon panel to manage the impact of the change is a far cry from trying to oppose the change in accordance with the views of the majority.

FJ

I second this post.

Cpt. Prater must fight this possible "rule change" tooth and nail.

Oh yeah, one more thing Cpt Prater: Represent the will of the membership or resign.

Originally Posted by vtwo
It is just age discrimination plain and simple.

Guess what, so is 65.

So is any age.
65 is just closer to what the rest of American society is used to.

I have an Idea let make retirement mandatory at age 40.

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

The one thing people tend to ignore on this issue is the QUALIFIED pilot shortage we already find ourselves in. Most of the regionals are scraping the bottom of the barrel, and increasing pay does no good if there are no pilots in the training pipeline.

Retaining pilots beyond age 60 helps mitigate that shortage.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back