• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Capt below mins question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From 200 feet to touchdown you have about 8 seconds, no real time for a discussion. The reality is that as long as you stay on the glideslope to the ground you should be O.K. I say should as aircraft, snow, and many other factors can affect the glideslope indicator. Once you get on the ground it is for sure time for a cup of coffee together, if caffiene doesn't work go the other route for a beer after the day. I wouldn't get too excited about one time on an ILS, on a non-precision I would get real excited real quick. If the attitude seems to be an habitual pattern I would discuss it with him with another captain that he respects. If that doesn't work I would go to professional standards committee. If that does't work then it is really out of your hands. Remember on an ILS approach the minimums are vis. DH is just that an altitude to make a decision. The standards are all over Part 91, Part 121, Part 135 and your FOM. Know the lights well, study them, they are your logical progression to the end of the runway and a safe landing. If the weather is really low a good captain will brief this progression so you know exactly what to look for.

P.S. I am talking real life on the line, we all know the proper interview question answer.

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
The reality is that as long as you stay on the glideslope to the ground you should be O.K.

I wouldn't get too excited about one time on an ILS, on a non-precision I would get real excited real quick.

If the attitude seems to be an habitual pattern I would discuss it with him with another captain that he respects.

If that doesn't work I would go to professional standards committee.

If that does't work then it is really out of your hands.

Know the lights well, study them, they are your logical progression to the end of the runway and a safe landing.
Well, shucks. I reckon we should dispense with the complicated CAT II and CAT III procedures, and just fly the ILS down to the ground every time. Dispense with minimums altogether, make standardization a breeze. Flare on the radio altimeter if you need to break the descent rate, just for comfort, of course.

::: Shaking head in disbelief :::

Is there a limit to the number of "if that doesn't work"s that you can tolerate?

My kids get mad at their Daddy from time to time, but I don't think they'd be thrilled to attend his funeral because he was being "patient" with a Captain with a complete disregard for safety.

Latest resources

Back