• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can I get an A&P?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
60+ moves, and counting. Just moved again a few weeks ago. Four times in seven years sounds pretty darn stable to me.

Life is TDY.

Check Essential

Having worked, between other jobs, as an instructor at 3 part 147 maintenance schools I would humbly recommend that you save your 23k (unless it is REALLY burning a hole in your pocket!)

I’m sure there are exceptions, but most schools are run by for profit (read your $23,000) training conglomerates and will teach you nothing more than it takes to barely keep their part 147 status. The only FAA requirement to be an instructor at the schools is that you have an A&P (experience optional). You and ten other students might get to tear down and reassemble a piston engine, but never make it run. You will get to start the ONE engine that does run (FAA requirement) if it happens to be working that day! Your sheet metal project might be 10 rivets in a 6 inch square of aluminum . Well, you get the picture.

Spend your money on a good set of tools to get stared. U.S.Tool and Industrial

Supply ( just Google it) has some good kit builders kits. I have used their rivet guns, clecos etc. and they are of fine quality for the price. Also, try and get the old FAA printed A&P books if you want to read up. If you do get the Jeppesens, find an old set and watch for a lot of mistakes! The new Jeppesens are the same as the old ones, just a new cover and a higher price.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

USMCmech said:
In order to test for your A&P you must have 30 months of full time experiance working in an aircraft maintence facility.

Please show me a regulation that says the 30 months have to be full time. You won't find it. You will find that you cannot do it in under 30 months by working more than full time. Now if you were only ocassionaly working on planes for 30 months I'm sure that wouldn't fly, but nobody says you can't have another job while you are working on planes. In fact, nobody says you have to have a "job" at all. You could, for example, build an airplane and that experience would qualify.

"Please show me a regulation that says the 30 months have to be full time."
There is no regulation, but the requirement does exist. 8300.10, chapter 22
The 30 months consists of 40 hour work weeks per the FAA.

ppolstra said:
Please show me a regulation that says the 30 months have to be full time. You won't find it. You will find that you cannot do it in under 30 months by working more than full time. Now if you were only ocassionaly working on planes for 30 months I'm sure that wouldn't fly, but nobody says you can't have another job while you are working on planes. In fact, nobody says you have to have a "job" at all. You could, for example, build an airplane and that experience would qualify.

I don't know of any certificated mechanic that would sign you off to take the writtens without the experience level, or an FAA Inspector that would allow you to take the writtens with out the letter from the mechanic. Every one that I've recommended to take the writtens has been interviewed by the FAA inspector on his experience level prior to have been given permission to take the test. Even taking your DD 214 to the FAA doesn't guarantee you the privellige to take the A&P writtens.

If you build an airplane, and you actually build more that 51%, you may qualify to become a repairman for that aircraft. Keep in mind that building an aircraft would be experimental and maintaining an aircraft that is certificated is different in nature. Does driving an M1A tank entitle you to a civillian drivers licence?

I was one of the lucky ones. I got a job with an airline with military experience only.Through OJT I built up my time, documented all that I did, Presented it to the local FSDO,Got my sign off, took my writtens and practicals and achieved my A&P. With a little help from King school videos and about $1500. total. Never once set foot in a class room and usualy had a beer and cigerette going in front of the VCR. After about 5 years seeing lawnmower Mechs making more than me I said F this.And I worked Heavy checks. 727-200 C-check and line. C-1 ,C-2 ,hot section I can tear apart a JT-8 Blind folded.Now I work on a friggin bus.More Money,No road trips,No feds,No logs,weekends and holidays off. Unless you've been with a major the last 20 years your not going to make squat in aviation.Been there done that and flight bennies suck too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back