Can I get an A&P?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IndyGTP said:
If you want the experience and are willing to work for peanuts for a few years then I would say go for it. If you want an A&P just for your own leisure and just to say you have one then you could do that too. But don't make the same mistake I did and go into this field thinking you will make tons of money.
No interest in a career in MX. Just interested in getting an A&P for the education and because I like to turn wrenches for fun.

CE

CE, you should be just fine then. I know a few pilots and homebuilders who got their A&P. In the long run it can save you money by doing a lot of your own mx. Also, once you get your A&P, after three years you can go for your IA and can do your own annuals et al.

Another thing to remember about an A&P is that once you have it, as long as you don't screw up, it's good forever.

With no experience up front you'll have to do some schooling. Unfortunately I can't help you out there because I went off of my USAF (8 years) tech school and experience and tested out through Bakers school to gain my certificate.

Best of luck!

Don't forget the new fuel bladders. That's sooo much fun...
Them danm things were done before we bought the plane THANK GOD. I was watching them (the A&P guy I know) put some in a older 182 (I think) and DANM they can have fun doing that crap

before the spelling po po's get me danm is wrong

Last edited:
In some cases you are correct about jobs but when you get into a region where there is a high concentrated count of laid off mechanics, you are going to either have to move or hope that you can get hired. Areas such as Tampa (US Air), Chicago, Indianapolis, Oakland, San Francisco (All United) are all areas where it becomes difficult to get a job because of the 1000's of people laid off.

Anybody who gets into aviation without planning on moving around is having a bad pipe dream.

Whatever that is.

avbug said:
Anybody who gets into aviation without planning on moving around is having a bad pipe dream.

Whatever that is.

Five years ago when I started school it wasn't like that in Indianapolis. United had an agreement included in the loan the city gave them to hire 200 mechanics a year. By 2006 they were to have 2,500 aviation professionals. Not to mention ATA had/has line and hanger maintenance in Indy. ATA was on a hiring spree as well. Chautauqua the number one regional airline also operated out of Indy.

So I guess today with the airlines and how they are, you should expect to move. But to be honest with you... Out of the 30 people that were in my class I would say 75% had the intention of staying home. Kinda sucks to see all your dreams crumble in one year.

But hey I can't really complain. I'm living the American dream. Got a house, car, wife, and enough money to put food on the table. It could have been better but I'm satisfied with what I got and love what I do.

The time money you spend on going to A&P school will be more than you will ever spend on hiring one of us A&P's to safely do the work for you. However I would highly recommend taking a sheet metal course or some kind of formal sheet metal training for building your RV. Another option for affordable maintenance may be to find an A&P who loves to fly and exchange time in your plane for maintenance. I have been flying a C-182 for a few years and I only pay for the gas.

208Tech said:
Another option for affordable maintenance may be to find an A&P who loves to fly and exchange time in your plane for maintenance.

This is the only way I was able to own my own aircraft. A friend was an ATP with A&P-IA. His Company did not allow Him to do any kind of work on the side, but, beings that I had a Maule, I would land in His Neighbors field so He could work on my plane in His Garage.
His neighbor was so taken by this that He learned to fly and bought a Maule and kept it tied in his back yard.

Out of the 30 people that were in my class I would say 75% had the intention of staying home. Kinda sucks to see all your dreams crumble in one year.

That only serves to reinforce my point. Those that get into the business and expect to be in one place with one employer are not grounded in reality.

These folks just woke up to face reality. That's all.

And welcome to the club.

Absolutely Plan on moving in this career. Good thread going. The only thing missing is the cost of the A+P schooling. You can plan on spending anywhere from 16K to 28K depending on the school or area you are in. Also in looking at a home built and the RV is a great acft, you can get it partially assembled to speed up your build time.

In the recruiting work I have done in speaking to schools #1 is the plan to move talk. Not counting my military time which was 20 years, I have moved 4 times in 7 years and getting ready for the 5th.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back