Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can FDX pilots read in the cockpit domestic v international?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I There's too much to keep track of and
watch out for. I'd rather see a non-flying pilot snooze, at least
he/she's getting rest :cool:

That last line in your post is true, if you're on a descent or for the first phase of a flight during climb out to cruise, but what do you have to "look out for" at cruise?

I knew a guy like that a DAL and he wasn't very popular, I can tell you that much. In the end, if you're at cruse, and the ONLY thing to do is monitor the radio and the NAV on occasion, it would be absolutely torturous to not allow the PNF to read ANYTHNG..

I've been both a CP and FO in long and short leg trips, and the longer the trip the more I tend to say, let them read..

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that my habit of watching movies with my laptop on the glareshield flying single pilot 135 is not preparing me for a job at FedEx? Back to the drawing board.

our company encourages people to read to keep there mind active and more awake. to me it is easier to stay awake while reading rather than just sitting there staring at the instrument panel. sometime we even watch movies but lets keep that on the down low. and we even allow non aviation materail. but i have heard of some companies that require only aviation materail which we all know can put someone to sleep faster than warm milk.

I'm not making the decision for anyone but my f/o and me. I realize there
is a good argument for reading anything on longer trips, and as long as
there's someone giving his attention to the navigation and engine instruments,
that's going to be ok most of the time.
V70T5, you say the guy like that at Delta wasn't too popular....well, as long
as his only fault was insisting that everyone pay attention, it wasn't his
job to be popular. Did he run a safe ship otherwise?

V70T5, you say the guy like that at Delta wasn't too popular....well, as long
as his only fault was insisting that everyone pay attention, it wasn't his
job to be popular. Did he run a safe ship otherwise?

In the end, I assume he did, as anyone who's like you would be... not taking away form that. But I also think that there are issue far more important in terms of safety that have a much smaller effect on cockpit moral and cohesion.. CRM is more than just command and safety, it's also setting the crew at ease which can yield a safer operating environment, but hey.. when you sign for it, it's your bird Cap.. and you make the rules. ;)

During OE on the DC10 I flew with a Check Airman who would not let his crew read anything except company related material. We operated ANC to Korea, nine and half hours. Now I noticed half way through the flight, the engineer was reading a book and banging away on his computer. I was brand new, cooperate and graduate. So stared out the window for a very long time.
Now I am on the 11, so I can hit the bunk and watch and read what I want. Dozing for dollars.

Last edited:
During OE on the DC10 I flew with a Check Airman who would not let his crew read anything except company related material. We operated ANC to Korea, nine and half hours. Now I noticed half through the flight the engineer was reading a book and banging away on his computer. I was brand new, cooperate and graduate. So stared out the window for a very long time.
Now I am on the 11 so I can hit the bunk and watch and read what I want. Dozing for dollars.

Gotta love it... Dozing (or reading) for dollars... and who said we were underpaid?? ;)

Capt. Oveur... what about reading non aviation related stuff as long as you are wearing your pilot hat? Can't there be a compromise?

You'd have to be wearing your pilot hat AND your
coat with the stripes on the sleeve....oh, and an
enormous pilot watch, LoL:rolleyes:

Then that would like like one of those hokie "Be an airline pilots ads that are on every other page of AOPA Pilot and Flying Magazine" :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back