Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Buschpilot said:
I'm sure there is paperwork involved.

Nope, not unless there's a bad outcome (and in that case, of course, there'll be paperwork regardless).

I've seen this dozens of times from the controller's side of the fence, and once from the pilot's side. Since, in most cases, all the pilot really receives is priority handling, the pilot usually won't even be aware it's happening.

In cases where the firetrucks are rolled as a precaution, there may be an entry made in the facility log, but that's about it.

JetSpeed219 said:
Oh please do!

all I'll say is...d*mn...the things I did when I was a stupid er... student pilot...:rolleyes:

How did I ever make it through puberty?...or have I?

-mini

*edit*
Looking back, I appologize for such a stupid question.

"Can ATC declare an emergency for you?"
then I go on to say
"they did"

duh mini...one of those nights

Last edited:
Moonfly201 said:
And, it is mandatory (here in the NE) that EVERY emergency gets reported swifty by ATC to the local FSDO. Whether or not the words were ever mentioned.

So on climbout on a X/C flight, before you ask tower for a return to the runway due to a minor vibration you would like to check out on the ground, and tower gives you priority handling by telling the C-150 on downwind to continue, clearing you for landing, make sure you REALLY need to be on the front of the line. You will be getting contacted by a possibly not so friendly fed. Guaranteed. And if you tell him there was some type of mechanical problem, your A&P is next in line.

Threats of paperwork and FAA Inspectors are the misguided reasons some people are reluctant to declare an emergency, even in situations that obviously call for it. I've even heard about airplanes being told by Approach to maintain a certain speed on final, and they report they can't because they're single engine! I can guarantee that will get you in more trouble than declaring when you have a problem.

I've declared an emergency twice, and both times, one of the CFR guys took down the PIC's name and tail number for their records. I doubt if the FSDO gets involved in every declaration, unless there is evidence of FARs being violated.

EagleRJ said:
...I doubt if the FSDO gets involved in every declaration, unless there is evidence of FARs being violated.

and in that case I would imagine they would just be checking to make sure you only violated FARs that you had to so you could resolve the situation??

-mini

pilotman2105 said:
Gimme a break. There is no need to assess the severity of any sort of priority situation. If I've got a funny noise that I don't like, and I want to get on the ground ASAP, that's my priority. I'm certainly not going to think about FSDO knocking on the door or any other problems.

First thing at hand is saving my arse from a perceived threat. Everything else comes later and can be dealt with in its own time, with or without lawyers.

No need to scare people away from getting help that they feel they want or need.
I did not intend to scare anyone into not using a pilot's emergency authority when needed. Use the "E-Word" at will, that's what it's there for ... shout it loud and clear.

My point is that something much less than what a pilot may consider to be actual emergency could in fact be treated like a full blown emergency by ATC, by the pilot just asking for a small deviation. I personally will save by butt first, and pay for lawyers later, when I decide I need them, not when some mandatory regional policy makes the decision for me.

Moonfly201 said:
You will be getting contacted by a possibly not so friendly fed. Guaranteed.

Um, no, you probably won't.

In my (considerable) experience, most cases of "priority handling" by ATC go totally unrecorded; in some cases, only the individual controller involved will even know it happened. In some cases, there may be a single line note on a facility log, but that's usually the end of it.

Those few that do get sent on to FSDO will get at least a cursory look, but the majority will not merit any contact whatsoever with the pilot.

Moonfly201 said:
I did not intend to scare anyone into not using a pilot's emergency authority when needed. Use the "E-Word" at will, that's what it's there for ... shout it loud and clear.

My point is that something much less than what a pilot may consider to be actual emergency could in fact be treated like a full blown emergency by ATC, by the pilot just asking for a small deviation. I personally will save by butt first, and pay for lawyers later, when I decide I need them, not when some mandatory regional policy makes the decision for me.
The term "min fuel" comes to mind. I wouldn't have a problem declaring an emergency or min fuel if the situation dictated it.

Nor would I hesitate to make an off airport landing in an emergency, if it was possible to do so without getting killed.

Not to long ago, the WI DNR lost a Barron and some people because the pilot seemed to want to land miles away at a big airport with fire trucks instead of taking a field. It was daytime and very VFR that day.

EagleRJ said:
I doubt if the FSDO gets involved in every declaration, unless there is evidence of FARs being violated.
That's what common sense would dictate. But not here in the Northeast Region. Trust me on this.

Last year, after hearing about 3 VERY MINOR problems (2 of the 3 were students and newly minted CFI's unfamilar with non-school aircraft characteristics while flying in very cold weather) and all resulted in FSDO involvement. I got on the phone and spoke with folks at both the helpful Class C tower and the local FSDO. I was told the following;

In the FAA Northeast Region, EVERY request to an ATC facility for "special" handling is treated as "priority". And EVERY priority handling granted is automatically declared an emergency by ATC. And EVERY declared emergency results in paperwork being forwarded to the local FSDO.

Whether or not every report sent to the FSDO gets followed up on I do not know. Yet, the three very minor incidents that resulted in FSDO follow-ups caused me to start asking questions in the first place. And, as unbelievable as it may sound, I have only repeated what was told to me.

Departing Tonopah one night with a patient, a medic in back advised me that the patient needed the shortest time possible to North Las Vegas. I notified SLC center that I needed priority handling direct las vegas, and was immediately handed off to Nellis Range Control, where I was given a direct routing over the Tonopah Test Range, and then south, during a busy time. Great assistance, great support, no questions asked, before and after.

I did that many times in that area, Area 51, and all. Even had them stop exercises or route me through areas where active range use was in progress.

To ATC, there existed no difference between the request for priority and the declaration of an emergency, and I was given the same handling...priority handling. Emergencies are given priority handling. Asking for priority handling and making a formal declaration of an emergency is the same thing.

Moonfly201 said:

I would much rather be safely on the ground with equipment standing by that is not needed, then to be stuck inside my a/c burning to death wishing that the equipment is standing by.

Latest resources

Back