Can ATC Declare Emergency?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

Just thinking back to my pre-private days, I was on a cross country flight and (I won't go into details) I decided to turn back land...well ATC starts all of this declaring an emergency stuff. I told them on the radio (duh - where else?) that it wasn't an emergency, but they said they were going to handle it as such and sure enough, I roll final and there are the trucks lined up on the runway waiting for me in my mighty 152...

Just wondering how that works.

ATC can declare for you? I didn't find a reg for it, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks!

-mini

It depends on whether they see a direct threat or possible harm that may be caused to persons in the airplane or on the ground. I have had one situation where ATC wanted "me" to declare an emergency which I refused to do due to circumstances not dictating that I do so. The broad three times said " XXXX are you sure you do not want to declare"? She apparently must have had a hearing problem that day or it was that time of thy month.

3 5 0

get ir in that turn !

Yah, I've heard controllers declare an emergency before:

Controller: "Everyone on freq, stand by."
Long pause while controller refills his coffee.
"Say again, I was on the landline."
Ten clearances later, *sip* [lots of cuss words as controller spits out coffee] Coffee's cold!
8-9 pilot queries go unanswered while controller refills coffee.
"Say again, I was on the landline."

Actually it's only the trainees that declare the emergency, most of the FPLs I know can make the coffee, drink it, and refill without missing a call.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Sure can. Heard a pilot near RDU takeoff and shortly thereafter report smoke in the cockpit. ATC declared the emergency the next transmission they made. Something along the lines of "Roger N12345. We'll call that an emergency. Turn left to xxx vectors for the final."

I know of no contingencies or criteria for ATC to declare an emergency other than there being a "distress or urgency condition." As a matter of fact, the 7110 specifically states that if there is doubt that a situation is an emergency, go ahead and declare one.

Yes, ATC is allowed to declare an emergency for an aircraft (and in 121 ops, so is the dispatcher). Sometimes, there may not be any communication with the aircraft, or the pilot may be too busy handling the problem to remember to use the "e word".

It's been a few years since I had to crack open a 7110.65 (atc manual), but If I remember right, it states that 3 people can declare an emergency:

1. The pilot
2. The aircraft operator
3. ATC

Of course, it really depends on if the controller wants to take that action. I'm sure there is paperwork involved. I wouldn't know, I controlled in the military where there is no paperwork...only pushups.

minitour said:
ATC can declare for you?
-mini

Yes.

From the controller's manual (7110.65):

10-2-5. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS

Consider that an aircraft emergency exists and inform the RCC or ARTCC and alert the appropriate DF facility when:​

a. An emergency is declared by either:​

1. The pilot.

2. Facility personnel.​

3. Officials responsible for the operation of the aircraft.​

Not sure about the other FAA regions, but here in the Northeast whenever a pilot obtains any type of "priority handling" by ATC, the flight has been automatically declared an emergency by ATC. Those magic "I declare" words need not be uttered by anyone.

In many cases the pilot is not even aware of it unless he lands with the equipment on the runway. Or gets a phone call or visit from the local FSDO asking what happened.

And, it is mandatory (here in the NE) that EVERY emergency gets reported swifty by ATC to the local FSDO. Whether or not the words were ever mentioned.

So on climbout on a X/C flight, before you ask tower for a return to the runway due to a minor vibration you would like to check out on the ground, and tower gives you priority handling by telling the C-150 on downwind to continue, clearing you for landing, make sure you REALLY need to be on the front of the line. You will be getting contacted by a possibly not so friendly fed. Guaranteed. And if you tell him there was some type of mechanical problem, your A&P is next in line.

Moonfly201 said:
So on climbout on a X/C flight, before you ask tower for a return to the runway due to a minor vibration you would like to check out on the ground, and tower gives you priority handling by telling the C-150 on downwind to continue, clearing you for landing, make sure you REALLY need to be on the front of the line. You will be getting contacted by a possibly not so friendly fed. Guaranteed. And if you tell him there was some type of mechanical problem, your A&P is next in line.

Gimme a break. There is no need to assess the severity of any sort of priority situation. If I've got a funny noise that I don't like, and I want to get on the ground ASAP, that's my priority. I'm certainly not going to think about FSDO knocking on the door or any other problems.

First thing at hand is saving my arse from a perceived threat. Everything else comes later and can be dealt with in its own time, with or without lawyers.

No need to scare people away from getting help that they feel they want or need.

Latest resources

Back