Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can a Piper Saratoga be used for 135 IFR flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BluDevAv8r

Hey guys, I don't know much about the single engine charter world but a former student of mine is in the process of buying a 2006 Piper Saratoga TC. He is wondering if it possible to do IFR 135 stuff (he would put it on an existing certificate) as a means to defray cost. I couldn't answer his question so I figured I'd come here to ask the gurus.

Here is a link to the specs for the aircraft:

http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/saratoga~tc/specifications.asp

Thanks!

-Neal

While waiting for the gurus, I'll throw in my two bits worth.

I didn't see two electrical generating sources (or, alternatively, a back-up battery system) in the specs as required for single-engine IFR Part 135 work in 135.163f. Therefore, i don't think it would be certified for that work.

Last edited:
I flew a Piper Lance, non-turbo, Part 135 IFR freight, YEARS ago.

AmFlight? Or similar company used to fly Lances all the time out in California I think also.

PA-32.

Andy Neill said:
My reference pertained to flying passengers IFR. I would agree that it would be qualified for freight.

I have since found out that there is a main 90 amp alternator and a standby 20 amp alternator for this aircraft.

-Neal

If you equip it with enough "stuff", you could do it.

Someone already listed the reg, it's in 135...it's got to have some redundancy in a few systems.

It may or may not be worth it (able to defray the costs) to equip it as needed.

-mini

minitour said:
If you equip it with enough "stuff", you could do it.

Someone already listed the reg, it's in 135...it's got to have some redundancy in a few systems.

It may or may not be worth it (able to defray the costs) to equip it as needed.

-mini

I agree with you. I need to dig through that stuff. I just can't imagine how a brand new $611,000 airplane wouldn't be 135 IFR capable. I see there are a few Saratogas for charter ($330ish/hour) on charterhub.com. Maybe I should talk to one of those guys.

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
I agree with you. I need to dig through that stuff. I just can't imagine how a brand new $611,000 airplane wouldn't be 135 IFR capable. I see there are a few Saratogas for charter ($330ish/hour) on charterhub.com. Maybe I should talk to one of those guys.

-Neal

You'd be surprised how a brand new $600k+ airplane can't be IFR 135 capable :smash:.

-mini

BluDevAv8r said:
as a means to defray cost.

Neal:

I have no idea what costs your client is going to defray. I operate a Single Pilot 135 op with a Seneca II. I know I don't defray any ownership costs. Insurance alone is going to eat him alive. My Seneca II is insured for a hull value of 160k and the annual premium is $10,000.00. I would guess that his premium will be at least $15,000, maybe even more.

Michael

Andy Neill said:
While waiting for the gurus, I'll throw in my two bits worth.

I didn't see two electrical generating sources (or, alternatively, a back-up battery system) in the specs as required for single-engine IFR Part 135 work in 135.163f. Therefore, i don't think it would be certified for that work.

This is required for only icing conditions.

Latest resources

Back