Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can a Piper Saratoga be used for 135 IFR flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bama*pilot said:
This is required for only icing conditions.

Try again. Read 135.163

I fly the saratoga on a weekly basis part 135. Our airplanes our IFR for freight and VFR only for passengers. Just tell him to haul people around in nice weather or go buy a navajo.

siegelaviation said:
Neal:

I have no idea what costs your client is going to defray. I operate a Single Pilot 135 op with a Seneca II. I know I don't defray any ownership costs. Insurance alone is going to eat him alive. My Seneca II is insured for a hull value of 160k and the annual premium is $10,000.00. I would guess that his premium will be at least $15,000, maybe even more.

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for the information. I just went through your web page. Looks like you have a really nice business in MCI. If you aren't defraying costs let alone making money with that 135 op, how come you are still in operation? Trust me, I'm not going to advocate my friend go forward with this unless the numbers at least allow him to eat into his fixed costs on the airplane. Thanks again for the info...

-Nea

Hey Neal. The place I used to work way back in the day had a Cherokee 6 that they tried to put on 135. Was approved for VFR passenger flight but not IFR. They decked the thing out with all the dual alternators, etc...everything to the letter that "Single Engine IFR 135 certification" called for. We couldn't get it approved though. They said that eventhough it doesn't actually say anything about it, that single engine IFR was only meant to cover turbine powered airplanes...Caravans, TBM700's etc... So don't know if things have changed or not, but that's the way it was a few years ago. Good luck.

EB

Last edited:
Last I heard, the only singles approved for pt. 135 IFR pax flights were the Cessna Caravan, PC-12 and if my memory is correct, the TBM 700. Had a lot to do with them being turbo props.

xrated said:
Last I heard, the only singles approved for pt. 135 IFR pax flights were the Cessna Caravan, PC-12 and if my memory is correct, the TBM 700. Had a lot to do with them being turbo props.

There are currently several Saratogas flying IFR 135 according to charterhub.com and I know for a fact that the Cirrus SR22 is flying 135 IFR since SATSAir is using them all over the southeast.

-Neal

I used to fly an older Saratoga for a 135 IFR operator in SOCAL. They are no longer in business but we had two on the certificate.

Yes Is The Answer, But You Must Be Sure Your Aircraft Has Been In All Compliances With The Manufactures Maintenance Procedures, Ie, Ad' And Especialy Service Bulletins That Most Don't Comply With B/c Its Not Mandatory. Also 2 Vaccum Pumps Usually Must Be Installed Depending On The Fsdo, A Stby Alternating Source, Ie Wind Driven Alternator, And If You Want To Fly It Single Pilot You Need A Three Axis Autopilot.

TGTVS said:
Yes Is The Answer, But You Must Be Sure Your Aircraft Has Been In All Compliances With The Manufactures Maintenance Procedures, Ie, Ad' And Especialy Service Bulletins That Most Don't Comply With B/c Its Not Mandatory. Also 2 Vaccum Pumps Usually Must Be Installed Depending On The Fsdo, A Stby Alternating Source, Ie Wind Driven Alternator, And If You Want To Fly It Single Pilot You Need A Three Axis Autopilot.

2 vac pumps? The airplane doesn't even have a vacuum pump. It is all electrical with 2 alternators and of course, has an autopilot. Remember, this aircraft is brand new...right out of the factory.

-Neal

Latest resources

Back