Can a MD-80 autoland?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 80 auto lands fine.

Great airplane overall. In fact, I like the 80 autothrottles over the Airbus auto thrust. The mad dog seems to work better.

The scary part is remembering that the 80 computer system was designed just AFTER vacuum tubes were not used anymore. I never had a problem though.

Who needs RNAV anyway!!!!!! Radar Vector Equipped BABY

" A butt-plug and a shock collar? Please explain..."

Why it's quite simple really.

When the aircraft is in an autoflight/autoland mode, if the Monkey tries to touch anything he recieves a shock from the collar.

The butt-plug acts as an PSASS ( "Pilot Seat Anti-Soil System" ) in the event that the shocking of the Monkey creates excess gastrointestinal pressures and/or spasms.

YKMKR

Last edited:
Sure, it worked (somewhat) well in the -80. Now, the 727 autolanding...that was a sight! All that trust in a Mod V autopilot...

stlflyguy

If you are not going to idle soon after 50 feet in most situations, you are not landing the MD80 correctly.

uhhh.... several decompressed vertebrae in my spine beg to differ!

as I recall, at heavy weights and the stab trim past 8-10 units nose up, the horizontal stab is at such a sharp angle that the servo tabs are effectively blanketed by the horizontal stab. (the -80 uses servo tabs for pitch and roll.) as such, when you pulled back to flare, NOTHING happened... so you needed to land with power.

at least that's how it was with the AA "super" 80s. maybe DL's -88s are different?

uhhh.... several decompressed vertebrae in my spine beg to differ!

as I recall, at heavy weights and the stab trim past 8-10 units nose up, the horizontal stab is at such a sharp angle that the servo tabs are effectively blanketed by the horizontal stab. (the -80 uses servo tabs for pitch and roll.) as such, when you pulled back to flare, NOTHING happened... so you needed to land with power.

at least that's how it was with the AA "super" 80s. maybe DL's -88s are different?

The elevator is extremely effective throughout the whole flare, with no power, at high weights.

You can land the 80 a bunch of different ways, but when you land it with power you're just increasing your landing distance and brake/reverse use.

The elevator is extremely effective throughout the whole flare, with no power, at high weights.

You can land the 80 a bunch of different ways, but when you land it with power you're just increasing your landing distance and brake/reverse use.

We have a winner!

Yes, at higher weights and the stab back toward 10 I will carry the power a little longer. But even then, I am still at idle by about 30 feet.

I get complaints all the time about the stopping capability of the 88. Then I watch those same pilots do a power on landing, touching down above vref at the end of the touchdown zone, and all I can do is shake my head.

Latest resources

Back