CALLOUTS - AIRBUS – BOEING and other

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A310/300-600

Pm calls " loc * " (loc star) and "GS * " (glideslope star) when the FMA's are displayed on the PFD in the LAND mode.
I guess it could vary depending on the respective company's procedures.

Various callouts philosophies are used:
Airline A: Pilot Monitoring (PM) will call “LOCALIZER ALIVE”
Airline B: The Pilot Flying (PF) will call “LOCALIZER ALIVE”
Airline C: The pilot who first notice the change will make the callout “LOCALIZER ALIVE”
Could you share how you do it at your airline and what the manufacturers generic manuals suggests.

At my airline on the 777 the " Localizer Alive " call is made by the PNF, the PF calls " Localizer Capture " when LOC is annuciated on the Flight Mode Annunciator. If the PNF misses the call then the PF will call it, provided of course he hasn't missed it as well.

TP

Who really gives a d@amn who calls it first. Just don't fly through it. It's all just an excuse for the examiner or Check airman to rib you during the debrief.

minutia: a minute (1. very small; 2. of little importance) or minor detail.

I've worked at several airlines. Some philosophies at some airlines have so many call outs that it's ridiculous. I always liked the airlines that had a bare minimum of callouts so that if something was said it was significant. Too may call-outs and too many buzzers and warnings in the cockpit and it starts numbing pilots to them.

FYI, many airlines don't use "alive" calls, only "capture" calls when doing IMC approaches.

Speaking of numbing pilots with warnings, do all EGPWS have an Inhibit Function to the audio? Ours does, and I notice whenever I board that the last pilots have selected inhibit. I can't think of any of those Bitchin Betty aural annunciators ever saving us (or anyone) from anything.... well except maybe overspeed!

xrated said:
Common call out on the ERJ....."Sorry center, .75 is the best we can do."

At AWA on the airbus, "Localizer alive" and "Glide slope alive" are "supposed" to be PNF callouts.

I thought AWA had the PF call "Localizer alive" and the Fo say's "I'll drink to that"

SOP designers should resist the temptation to create a “cattle auction” with too many callouts - it may actually reduce the PM's situational awareness and the ability to backup the PF. Complex callouts may sound impressive, but may still give little usable information. In fact they may obscure vital information.
I believe callouts should be examined like any other procedure. Have as few as possible and only with information needed by the other crew member.

Latest resources

Back