• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling times out while taxi @ CJC - IAH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any thoughts on this. I thought taxiing was a critical phase of flight? There is a 40+ page AC (AC 120-74A) on taxi procedure from the FAA and taxiing has always been on there top ten hit list.

I guess we could call the out time before we release the brake out of the gate, but most all the guys who call on the ground do it while moving on the taxiway. But there is no way to call an on time until parked at the gate. And at an out station, all the ground crew is outside to turn the plane anyway. Who do we talk to then?

I've been caught three different times now reading back instructions while the FO was calling times. Not sure the FAA would be pleased. And out of gate A7 or A8... ramp, clearance, then ground on the way to 9/27... forget it... by the time you get a minute, you are out of range of ops on the lower antenna.

Do I have an argument or am I missing something?

When we did that in CLE, I normally called the out time before we started moving.

It wasn't so much for safety, but because I'm feeble-minded enough that I'd forget about it once we started rolling... :0

I think doing anything outside of essential duties on the ground is asking for trouble. Unless you're at LGA or BOS getting a gate after landing, I think it's a poor idea to divide crewmembers' attention while taxiing. Watch, Colgan will change it back after someone doesn't follow taxi instructions and the FAA calls them out.

I believe calling times is considered part of your essential duties, therefore it's ok to do it when you're taxiing or in sterile cockpit, etc.

what a bunch of wusses. if you're not a retard and work for colgan, then you simply do it when you know you're not gonna get a taxi instruction. what does it take, 10 seconds?

My understanding is that you are allowed to -call- the times, but are not allowed to record the times until over 10k. There is a specific prohibition against doing paperwork below 10k, but no specific prohibition against the calling of times.

That's the way it was explained to me on IOE at any rate.

what a bunch of wusses. if you're not a retard and work for colgan, then you simply do it when you know you're not gonna get a taxi instruction. what does it take, 10 seconds?

it's not a matter of easy, being a wuss, working for cjc, or the fact that i may, in fact, be a retard. it's about what mr. fed will ask me when he catches on.

colgan won't go to bat for me, so i have to cover my own.

My understanding is that you are allowed to -call- the times, but are not allowed to record the times until over 10k. There is a specific prohibition against doing paperwork below 10k, but no specific prohibition against the calling of times.

That's the way it was explained to me on IOE at any rate.

If i am not mistaken, calling your times under ten k is about flight following. When or if you call them on the taxi is a judgement call.

Any thoughts on this. I thought taxiing was a critical phase of flight? There is a 40+ page AC (AC 120-74A) on taxi procedure from the FAA and taxiing has always been on there top ten hit list.

I guess we could call the out time before we release the brake out of the gate, but most all the guys who call on the ground do it while moving on the taxiway. But there is no way to call an on time until parked at the gate. And at an out station, all the ground crew is outside to turn the plane anyway. Who do we talk to then?

I've been caught three different times now reading back instructions while the FO was calling times. Not sure the FAA would be pleased. And out of gate A7 or A8... ramp, clearance, then ground on the way to 9/27... forget it... by the time you get a minute, you are out of range of ops on the lower antenna.

Do I have an argument or am I missing something?

Just a guess....ACARS perhaps?

V1

It's called: FO= "I'm off one", CA= "OK"

FO= "I'm back", CA= "OK"

You can't drive and talk at the same time? I would bet this is SOP almost everywhere. And, if you are at an out station, why not just wait to call all the times in the air????????????????????????????

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back