• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling Republic Scabs on Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regional pilots sold their souls long ago. If you want to fly jets-go to the Majors. Let the regionals fly props.

So what would happen if the rah pilots (and I use that term loosely) just went to management and said they will not fly any Miidwest routes? They can't all get fired, and this would send management a clear message. That pilots are not going to be whipsawed anymore. Flat out refuse to fly them!! But they are mostly 20 something punks over there, living the dream flying 70 seat aircraft for what used to be 35 seat pay 20 years ago. Adjusted for inflation of course. After all, they all think they are going to get their PIC and go to a major. News flash rah kids, if you keep flying bigger and bigger aircraft for less and less pay, not even keeping up with inflation, you won't have a major job to go to! As it stands now, only 30% of current regional pilots will have an opportunity at a major anyway due to more and more flights being done by the puke regionals. Why won't these kids understand?

Because when they are asked they respond that while flying larger RJs will diminish jobs at the majors, they don't think that will affect THEM personally. They think that they will be one of the lucky ones that will make it to a major and therefore, are willing to fly larger RJs in order to get their 1000TPIC.

So what would happen if the rah pilots (and I use that term loosely) just went to management and said they will not fly any Miidwest routes? They can't all get fired,?

Actually yes they can and yes they would. With 100 guys on the street at RAH and Mgmt. always looking to lower the labor cost everyguy refuseing any old Midwest routes would be fired without question and there would be nothing Teamsters could do to get there jobs back.

I am also curious why I am automatically a 20 something punk with SJS when I fly a 37-50 seat airplane makeing 80Kish per year, have a 12 minute drive commute to work and am home 25-26 nights a month. I've gotta admit my lifestyle and many of the Captains at RAH life has nothing to do with the size of airplane flown. To be honest with ya most guys here at RAH don't give a ******************** what plane they fly. QOL is much more important to them.

Sure there are guys who just want to fly the biggest plane and move on ASAP, but guess what there are a lot of guys like that everywhere. This includes mainline. As a matter of fact a lot of the guys that were like that are now at Mainline. There the same guys that would step on your face to get 2 more hours to meet the mainline mins. There everywhere.

So what would happen if the rah pilots (and I use that term loosely) just went to management and said they will not fly any Miidwest routes? They can't all get fired, and this would send management a clear message.

Yes, they can get fired. This would be the very definition of an illegal job action. In the early days of the MidEx buyout, the Republic pilot group was spreading the word to prepare for a strike. The belief at the time was that the MidEx group would be unwilling to accept the ridiculous terms with which they were faced, and authorize a strike. The RAH contract states clearly that Republic pilots will not fly struck work, and they've refused struck work before. For God's sake, would somebody explain to me why so many people here expect the Republic pilots to break the law to fight for MidEx pilots' jobs, when that group has yet to show an inkling of intention to fight the managers that engineered this mess?

Regional pilots sold their souls long ago. If you want to fly jets-go to the Majors. Let the regionals fly props.

You have no idea how badly I wanted to fly the ATR...I was just born too late!
:bawling:

The idea that you would use this statement to show that the regional pilots have sold their souls suggests a need to study the history of scope erosion...

I am also curious why I am automatically a 20 something punk with SJS when I fly a 37-50 seat airplane makeing 80Kish per year, have a 12 minute drive commute to work and am home 25-26 nights a month. I've gotta admit my lifestyle and many of the Captains at RAH life has nothing to do with the size of airplane flown. To be honest with ya most guys here at RAH don't give a ******************** what plane they fly. QOL is much more important to them.

Sure there are guys who just want to fly the biggest plane and move on ASAP, but guess what there are a lot of guys like that everywhere. This includes mainline. As a matter of fact a lot of the guys that were like that are now at Mainline. There the same guys that would step on your face to get 2 more hours to meet the mainline mins. There everywhere.

Pretty much spot on and the same feeling among the majority of the pilots where I work. Most could care less about moving on to a major-legacy.

Its unfortunate but there is a few major-legacy guys that feel the need to stroke their egos as it is about all they have left.

Pretty much spot on and the same feeling among the majority of the pilots where I work. Most could care less about moving on to a major-legacy.

I highly doubt that statement is true, as regional airline life is atrocious for many, and possibly good for a small few. Unless you are working for one of the 3 regionals with disastrous upgrades(Eagle, Horizon, Comair) with a cadre of Captains older than dirt and too old to move on, I can't see how the 25 to 35 yo RJ Captains would actually want to endure the misery which is regional life. 12-16 hour days, 5 legs, 11 days maybe 13 days a month off if you're lucky, edct after edct, nothing on time, RR layovers, and having to hear every other dirt cheap fare paying passenger whine about how frakkin small the plane is, blah blah blah. And before people start spewing about how 13 days off is more than most, let me ask you this. Do most people not spend all of their nights at home after having worked 7 to 10 hours a day, home every weekend, holiday, having the ability to catch all their kids milestones and activities which we can't. I believe that entitles us to several more days off a month!
Sure, there will always be people like $$$4nuthin who apparently lives very near to his domicile(MKE perhaps), which I guarantee you isn't NYC, and can live a decent life on 80 grand a year.

But if what you say is true. Then it is high time the puke regionals are actually made career worthy for ALL pilots, not just those in the left seat for 10+ years. Bring down max longevity pay to 12 years, not the ridiculous 18 to 20 I see everywhere! People need to realize that the once quick upgrades are going to come to an end as the puke regionals pretty much max out the number of aircraft up to 100 seaters that will be dumped in the market, much as we've seen with the 50 seaters. Or do mainline pilots intend to keep giving up scope until all they have left are widebodies?? I wouldn't be surprised. Not to mention that growing this industry as a whole is absolutely impossible with our current ATC system that can't even let you fly around some weather without bringing the system to a halt, as evidenced in the northeast the past few days. Even with the industries capacity cuts from last year, ATC does nothing but drop the ball. The spacing requirements and entrail are atrocious!!

Last edited:
Yes, they can get fired. This would be the very definition of an illegal job action.

So they are willing to go through their whole seniority list and fire everybody? I call BS on that! Illegal job action?? Don't be such a goodie 2 shoes. If they were not a union pilot group over there, would it still be considered an illegal job action? Or would it just be a bunch of men and women with the character to do the right thing and to show management that this sort of wheeling and dealing will not be allowed? I'm serious, can someone tell me this?

Latest resources

Back