Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling ALL CFI's ....Double I's and all...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A brilliant, well thought out response that wreaks of both insight and intelligence, which shall doubtless go down in the annals of flightinfo history as the brightest, and most thought provoking reply yet. Congratulations on such a fine effort. Magic. Just magic!

well im not gonna let you pull me into some little verbal war like all the other kids here.

so by all means go ahead.

These made-up procedures are what lead to bigger things.

These are not made-up procedures. I'm almost certain that it comes from some FAA handbook...circa? I dunno. But I'm certain that it was procedural to bring flaps up on a short field landing demonstration in a primary trainer. My instructors taught this way and so did I. It demonstrates the ability to transfer weight from the wings to the wheels upon touchdown. Aerodynamic braking is effective only during the high speed portion of a landing. Below a certain speed, flaps and holding the nose off by yanking back on the yoke will not improve the planes ability to slow down. Maybe techniques have changed, but there certainly was FAA guidence on this subject at one point. If I ever find an old refernce to it, I will post it. But to call it made up is ridiculous.

FYI, a lot of this depends on the plane you began to train in. My first few certificates were done in low wing Pipers with a manual flap handle between the seats. Some trainers have a flap switch which looks, feels and is positioned near the gear handle lever. Due to the lack of standardization, some planes were more prone to inadvertant gear-ups due to their flap/gear layout than other planes. This is one of the primary reasons they tell you not to touch the "flaps."

I think the only advice I could offer is to stick to commonly accepted practices whenever possible.

Is retracting the flaps after touchdown on a paved runway of sufficient distance in "normal" conditions acceptable... yeah, absolutely.

I would not however consider this a technique appropriate to every landing. If you have a reason to do this fine, if there's not a valid justification, you're just better off not futzing with your configuration until you've completed the landing roll.

I agree with ya purple haze....very much so.

Seems use of the technique is best when appropriate....(Pilot's descretion) And as experience grows, one can "decide" "when" it is appropriate....
Thanks.

In low altitude maneuvering in ag type aircraft, it's not uncommon to apply flaps as one enters a turn and retract them as one rolls out. Use flaps when you need them.

Funny you mention this.

When I was a CFI in the NYC area, I did a lot of "NYC City tours" with students, family and friends during the day and at night. This consisted of flying west along the south shore and up the Hudson river with a left 180 just south of the GWB.

As one must remain below 1,100 or so over the river and off the NY and NJ shore, it required a tight turn to get pointed south and not penetrate the "triple B" airspace.

In order to ensure I didn't drift into NJ, as I 180'ed around, I would bring in the flaps to drop the stall speed as I banked it around to the south. After the rollout I would retract the flaps.

Latest resources

Back