Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling ALL CFI's ....Double I's and all...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Part of the PTS is check list usage. Nowhere does it say to retract the flaps on touchdown.

That 1 iteam may seem silly to all of you, but when someone deviates from it by moving the flaps up, what's to stop them from doing other things that are not on the checklist.

That really depends on the checklist.

Use of flaps is as much technique as it is procedure. While a manufacturer may provide recommended procedures, technique permits varying ways to move the flaps...and that includes raising flaps on landing.

Raising flaps as part of a short field technique is appropriate, in fact.

A checklist in normal operation is not a "do" list, but a list of items to be checked as having been done in a flow. Certain procedures do require specific sequences of events...but use of flaps on a normal landing isn't one of them.

Avoiding touching anything on the runway is a common practice among many flight schools, and even among many operators, but it isn't universal, and it isn't even appropriate for many operations.

For what it's worth, our SOP dictates that the after-landing checklist be done when clear of the runway.

However, if I'm out there in my own C-185 (hey, a guy can dream), I'm pullin' the flaps whenever I dang well please.

-Goose

you do whatever you want to. Im just saying that most landing data is based on landing flaps, not flaps retracted at touchdown. So, once you do that, your landing data is invalid.

If you're landing on something that is so short you need to do this practice, then you have real problems.

These made-up procedures are what lead to bigger things.

you do whatever you want to. Im just saying that most landing data is based on landing flaps, not flaps retracted at touchdown. So, once you do that, your landing data is invalid.

If you're landing on something that is so short you need to do this practice, then you have real problems.

These made-up procedures are what lead to bigger things.

That's certainly a typical narrow viewpoint based on inexperience. Simply because you don't have the experience to be familiar with this type of technique, don't condemn it.

It's not a procedure, it's a technique, and it's quite legitimate. I've used it, and been a part of a number of operations that legitimately did so, ranging from single engine Cessnas operating off dirt airstrips to large four engine airplanes operating in busy terminal areas.

It's standard practice in many ag airplanes, which is a very legitimate use; lowering flaps upon touchdown of the main gear permits lowering of the tailwheel, which permits application of reverse thrust. Reverse thrust, as you might guess, reduces landing roll, reduces break use and wear, permits faster turnarounds, and enhances control, particularly on short runways.

When departing from a rough field, particularly one with loose chips, lowering flaps well into the takeoff roll reduces damage to the flaps. It's a legitimate, and appropriate technique in several types of airplanes I've operated...and far from a "made up procedure."

When landing on ice with a crosswind, judicious use of flaps while on the runway has often proven a useful control technique. You might be shocked at the concept of raising and lowering flaps in a turn, but to avoid a stall-spin while maneuvering at 75' in steep turns, which is often done nearly or to the stall buffet, it's necessary. Lower the flaps as one rolls into the steep turn, take the flaps out as one rolls out...appropriate technique given the type of operation.

You make an assumption regarding part 23 airplanes and the use of flaps throughout the landing roll, and you overestimate the effect of flaps during the rollout. In fact, as the airplane slows, the aerodynamic braking and drag provided by extended flaps is largely negligible, whereas braking is not...and raising flaps to enable better control on a soft or slick surface, and more effective braking on nearly any surface, is a legitimate, commonly used technique. Apparently just one outside your realm of experience.

That's certainly a typical narrow viewpoint based on inexperience. Simply because you don't have the experience to be familiar with this type of technique, don't condemn it.

It's not a procedure, it's a technique, and it's quite legitimate. I've used it, and been a part of a number of operations that legitimately did so, ranging from single engine Cessnas operating off dirt airstrips to large four engine airplanes operating in busy terminal areas.

It's standard practice in many ag airplanes, which is a very legitimate use; lowering flaps upon touchdown of the main gear permits lowering of the tailwheel, which permits application of reverse thrust. Reverse thrust, as you might guess, reduces landing roll, reduces break use and wear, permits faster turnarounds, and enhances control, particularly on short runways.

When departing from a rough field, particularly one with loose chips, lowering flaps well into the takeoff roll reduces damage to the flaps. It's a legitimate, and appropriate technique in several types of airplanes I've operated...and far from a "made up procedure."

When landing on ice with a crosswind, judicious use of flaps while on the runway has often proven a useful control technique. You might be shocked at the concept of raising and lowering flaps in a turn, but to avoid a stall-spin while maneuvering at 75' in steep turns, which is often done nearly or to the stall buffet, it's necessary. Lower the flaps as one rolls into the steep turn, take the flaps out as one rolls out...appropriate technique given the type of operation.

You make an assumption regarding part 23 airplanes and the use of flaps throughout the landing roll, and you overestimate the effect of flaps during the rollout. In fact, as the airplane slows, the aerodynamic braking and drag provided by extended flaps is largely negligible, whereas braking is not...and raising flaps to enable better control on a soft or slick surface, and more effective braking on nearly any surface, is a legitimate, commonly used technique. Apparently just one outside your realm of experience.

Whatever

Last edited:
Your gonna need some "thick skin" in this business. There's a difference between "technique" and "procedure". Some people cant distinguish this when they teach. You've obviously thought about the situation and have come up with a "good" reason for how and why you flew the airplane the way you did. It sounds safe....Remember: "One landing does not sum up a man's aviation experience".

A brilliant, well thought out response that wreaks of both insight and intelligence, which shall doubtless go down in the annals of flightinfo history as the brightest, and most thought provoking reply yet. Congratulations on such a fine effort. Magic. Just magic!

I've no doubt there are examiners out there who would take the exorbitant fees they charge an applicant, fail them, and expect them to take the test again, in fact...for another exorbitant fee.
OK, I'll give you that one. Not talking about 'those kind of people', they're in every profession, but about the guy who's giving an honest evaluation.

FWIW,

When I flew Part 135 in Alaska in a cherokee six. It was SOP to retract the flaps to kill the lift on every touchdown, due to the unpredictable winds in the valleys. I flew with MANY feds during that time and did not hear one complaint. I agree with avbug on this one... it's a technique, and one that I would not teach primary students.

Latest resources

Back